Wings, Trailers, and TTF...

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
Knowing that many airports are creating documents to control activities therein, a question has arisen at our local 'drome, to wit: Assume a person builds/purchases a new, state-of-the-art LSA, which has folding wings (I noticed the new Icon is one of them, and there is a folding wing option for the Zenith high-wing planes, along with many others).

Bubba, who has/has not a genuine, with Wilbur and Orville portrait pilot's license chooses to go this route, and purchases one of these planes, along with the trailer to go with it. Many of these new documents prohibit TTF operations, citing FAA, TSA, DHS, ABC, DEF, GHI, ASPCA, and SBC directives and, according to our local airport officials, towing a trailer "through the fence" would be prohibited. "Would unloading the aircraft outside the fence, then pushing it inside the fence and unfolding the wings be a TTF/prohibited action?" The answer was emphatically in the affirmative.

So, with not much further ado, I appeal to Spike, David, and all other sorts of legal gurus: What say you? What about gliders? How do these play in the grand scheme of regulatory excess (my personal opinion)?

Not to worry, though: We will still be able to drive up to our hangars (this was in jeopardy under the proposed "Rules and Regulations") at this strictly general aviation airport, with no carrier traffic, no ticket counters (no restaurant anymore either), and passenger scanning. But the Gunny Sergeant with the heart condition who used to just sit in his white Ford pickup and smoke his stogey won't be allowed to--it has been classified as "loitering"--little matter he and I would sometimes just visit and watch the planes come and go.

Well, opening this can of worms (and it's coming to an airport near you, if the international amalgamation of brotherhood of city administrators has its way), I eagerly await your collective wisdom.

BTW, one can, based on the conversations at the Airport Advisory Committee meeting the other night, unfold his wings at home, take off on his city street (avoiding all the power lines and CATV coax), then land at said airport. Somewhere in that logic has been installed the idea that there won't be any kind of terrorist bomb in said folding wing LSA if it merely lands at the local 'drome--but that is not assured if it is trailered in. :crazy:

Last edited:
Bubba, who has/has not a genuine, with Wilbur and Orville portrait pilot's license chooses to go this route, and purchases one of these planes, along with the trailer to go with it. Many of these new documents prohibit TTF operations, citing FAA, TSA, DHS, ABC, DEF, GHI, ASPCA, and SBC directives and, according to our local airport officials, towing a trailer "through the fence" would be prohibited. "Would unloading the aircraft outside the fence, then pushing it inside the fence and unfolding the wings be a TTF/prohibited action?" The answer was emphatically in the affirmative.
Where in the regs, pray tell, does it actually say that in black and white specific words (as opposed to some micro managers imagination) - please cite chapter and verse numbers.

There are tons of folding wing Kitfox, Avid Flyers, 103 ultralights, etc. etc. etc. operating of airports every day. Not to mention the gliders that get retrieved by trailer.

How does a homebuilt get to an airport? Every one I was involved with came in on a trailer or in the back of a truck. My brother trailered his into KFCM - not exactly a rinky dink rural strip.

Someone has been smoking them funny cigarettes again.

Tell them they need to widen the fence opening to allow people to taxi in.

LOL!!! "There you go again," as one wag once said, wanting facts. Funny, none were forthcoming as we were discussing this. Thus my appeal to the Blue Board folks.

This town is trying to convert what once was a thriving GA airport into a JFK-esque major drome, complete with rules on whether you can hang a picture of your family in your hangar...

Sigh.

This is a very bad interpretation of Thru the Fence restrictions. Need to get AOPA involved and your local GA Pilot's Association. What do you mean you don't have one, you obviously need one to help fight these draconian non pilot type rule makers.

Rent a cheap open air tie down space for someplace to park your trailer while your flying.

You said they would not deny vehicle access to the hangers (and tie downs).

Is there an A&P on the field?

Does he/she know that they can't bring an airplane in for repair on a flatbed?

Back