WINGS Program flight activity question

Nsconductor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nsconductor
Does anyone have a definitive answer on the following question related to WINGS:

"Do the flight activities for basic WINGS have to occur in an aircraft that the person seeking credit is rated in?"

My thought is probably no. I can't find anything regulatory requiring it. Typically the flight activity is going to be with a flight instructor.

Thanks!

Thanks. I tend to agree. Here is the real issue. In order for a rated pilot to act as PIC during Solo in an aircraft they are not rated for (or are rated for) they have to have a current flight review. In my case, I hold a commercial helicopter certificate. I am learning to fly gliders. By the letter of the law, I have to have a current flight review before I can fly solo. If I can do the wings program and get credit for the flight portions in gliders, and do the knowledge portions, then also by the letter of the law I have I current flight review.

I haven't flown a helicopter since I left the Army in 1994, so getting a flight review in a helicopter is prohibitive.

Trying to figure out a way to move forward.

A related issue is, do you need to be rated in the glider to just get a flight review in the glider?

You'll cover all the flight review topics pre-solo.

And note that 14 CFR 61.56 says glider pilots can substitute three dual flights. You'll certainly do that pre-solo.

It's legal to get a flight review in a flight training device. Maybe that's cheaper than a helicopter?

Last edited:
Back