Wings Program changes?

Dwight B. Van Zanen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DBVZ
I was getting my stuff together for Wings, and half of what I saw checking online looks like the Wings Program I know. Safety Seminar and 3 hours flight with a CFI, and you get your wings at each level.

Then I went to the FSDO web site, and they have a funky Beta program running about a Wings program that is more complex and looks like it would take more classroom time.

Anyone know what is going on with Wings?

Obviously in transition. I just finished SIMCOM and was awarded level seven or eight just like in the past, but they had no wings lapel pins. Told me it was changing, but I had met the new standards. I've read about what is to be, but it doesn't seem to be implemented yet.

Just have to be patent to see exactly what comes out of the puzzle palace <g>

Best,

Dave

Hmm... I just submitted phase IV in April, and I'm gonna be PO'ed if they don't have any pins.

I'll call the Washington FSDO next week if I don't hear from them.

From AOPA:
The FAA's Pilot Proficiency Award Program (known as the "Wings" program) is in the process of being replaced by a new Pilot Proficiency Program. FAA Advisory Circular 61-91H, which describes the current Wings program, will be replaced with a new advisory circular. The announcement of the start of the new program will be posted on the new FAASafety.gov Web site, which is currently under construction. We have been advised that there will be a grace period to allow pilots who have started under the old program to finish.

Hmm... I just submitted phase IV in April, and I'm gonna be PO'ed if they don't have any pins.

I'll call the Washington FSDO next week if I don't hear from them.

I sent my Phase IV to the FSDO safety rep. Never got a thing.

Pilots in the Central region are the test subjects for the new Wings program. It'll be phased out to the rest of the country later this summer.

As a CFI, I'm conducting Phase 12 of the Wings Program tomorrow for a private pilot. We're going to do the whole three hours in one day. He's gonna be beat by end of the day. :)

It appears that the current (not new) Wings Program will still be in force for him.

We'll all have to keep eyes peeled for the new AC when it comes out this summer!

My CFI just called me because I was panicked that my last Wings/BFR was running out. Upon checking it turns out that I'm good until the end of June.

He insisted to me there was no requirement for a logbook endorsement for Wings. I told him I had one from before. He looked it up in the list of endorsements. Not there. I told him the one I had referenced that 91-H circular. ...He spotted it. I told him no charge for the information. :D

I did my 1st Wings last year and now you tell me we don't get the pin anymore ? Bummer.

My CFI just called me because I was panicked that my last Wings/BFR was running out. Upon checking it turns out that I'm good until the end of June.

He insisted to me there was no requirement for a logbook endorsement for Wings. I told him I had one from before. He looked it up in the list of endorsements. Not there. I told him the one I had referenced that 91-H circular. ...He spotted it. I told him no charge for the information. :D

I'm still not sure the logbook endorsement is required, if one submits a blue card (and retains a copy) The blue card has the same language on it.

I just left a message with Karen Arendt, the FAAST rep at the Dulles FSDO, asking if it was true that there were no more wings pins, and confirming that they had my latest paperwork. I also said I assumed we'd see the new program later this year. I'll let you know what info I get back.

I went through the "new" program on the website, and aside from requiring that the CFI enforce the PTS on the manuevers, it's not that different from the current program, even for the "masters" level.

I just left a message with Karen Arendt, the FAAST rep at the Dulles FSDO, asking if it was true that there were no more wings pins, and confirming that they had my latest paperwork. I also said I assumed we'd see the new program later this year. I'll let you know what info I get back.

I went through the "new" program on the website, and aside from requiring that the CFI enforce the PTS on the manuevers, it's not that different from the current program, even for the "masters" level.
I was at an FAA seminar a couple of weeks ago. Our main FAAST reps were in a meeting (in St. Louis?) learning about the final form of the new program. But it was pretty clear that a) it will not be award driven (e.g. no pins), and b) will be Internet-based (instructors will enter information online about who has received training, and you will need to sign up for the FAA seminars online and check in onsite so attendence will be maintained). They intend for there to be some overlap, but I would bet that if they don't have any pins still available, they aren't going to be getting any more!

I also understand that one of the big drivers in the change is cost reduction. If they had a corporate sponsor to pay for the pins and distribution, they might bring them back.

Well, I got my phase IV cert AND pin in the mail today - I'll be wearing it proudly at the FlyBQ. Karen says the "new" program is in beta and should become effective for others later this year.

As for the pins and sponsorship - I think the current pins are sponsored by Avemco or someone - I'll look at them when I get home. I sure would like to see them continue, even if you get one set in different colors for the new 3-level system. I'd hope that the insurance industry could sponsor them.

I brought my documents in the FSDO about 2 weeks ago. Nothing back in the mail yet.

Getting it in was interesting. They were in a security alert that day. Security is always tight, but this was very tight. I finally got someone in the right office to come to the door and take my stuff to the guy who handles the program. I was not allowed in.

I brought my documents in the FSDO about 2 weeks ago. Nothing back in the mail yet.

Getting it in was interesting. They were in a security alert that day. Security is always tight, but this was very tight. I finally got someone in the right office to come to the door and take my stuff to the guy who handles the program. I was not allowed in.

Yeah, 'cause lord knows what chaos could wrecked by the terrists taking out a FSDO office, why, it would be almost as bad as losing FSS services! :rolleyes:

Imagine if the bad guys completely stopped the ability to ....errrr....do ramp checks? issue 337s and replacement airworthiness certs?

Well, the 2 weeks since I brought it in is obviously not indicative of a problem then. Thanks.

Maybe we can get Lockheed-Martin to sponsor them! :)

Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery, because first it will need to be routed all around the country and lost a time or two.

Due to construction schedules with the amphibion and downright plane boredom with land planes, I stood down from the program temporarily at 13 wings and certificates, the last three of which were the larger # 10 gold wings, due to a mishandling of the slips submitted. 2 to 4 weeks delivery time for each set out of the Seattle FSDO.

I'll sell the whole set of 13 if any pilot wants them, a few Seawings with the anchors too, which did not change design with each phase.

Last edited:
The FAA just sent me the following:
Automation of WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program
Notice Number: NOTC0890
The long awaited release of the automated WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program is here, and with it come exciting opportunities for you to improve your piloting knowledge and skills!
An obvious incentive to pilots is the added level of safety and professionalism that can be obtained through incorporation of a consistent recurrent training program. Another real plus is that qualifying for the Basic phase of WINGS meets the requirements under 14 CFR, Part 61.56 for a flight review. Maintaining at least the Basic phase means that your flight review will always be current.
The new Internet-based system allows you to have ownership and control of your aviation training and proficiency. You will be able to customize your individual pilot profile so the training you receive is relevant to your flying environment. You will also be able to track your progress on-line through your FAASafety.gov user account.
As a registered user of FAASafety.gov you may already have WINGS credits, even if you have not yet signed up to participate in the new WINGS program. For example, you have automatically received credit for eligible on-line FAASafety.gov courses you completed in the past. These credits will appear on your "My WINGS" page once you have signed up to participate in the new WINGS program.
Remember, though, that WINGS credits expire every 12 months. The FAASafety.gov system will automatically send you a reminder when one or more of your WINGS credits are within 30 days of expiring. During the initial roll out of the new system, anyone who completed a course more than 11 months ago has already received this email for each course previously taken, whether you have signed up for WINGS or not. If for some reason you choose not to participate in the WINGS program, you can disregard that reminder email.
This notice does not apply to any requirements you may have accomplished under the "old" WINGS Pilot Proficiency Award Program, which remains valid through December 31, 2007. However, we strongly encourage you to participate in the new WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program. For a limited time, completion of at least the Basic phase under the new WINGS program will also qualify you to receive the phase of WINGS you are working on under the old program. Contact your local FAASTeam Program Manager or FAASTeam Representative for details.
For more information about the WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program, log on to FAASafety.gov. Information regarding the new WINGS program can be found by selecting the "WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program" link on the lower left side of the home page, then selecting the "WINGS Help" link. Here you will find an overview of the new program as well as additional help links, including an on-line help tutorial.
Please contact your local FAASTeam Program Manager or FAASTeam Representative if you have questions about the new WINGS program or any other products or features of the FAA Safety Team.

Here's one thing I don't understand... courses that have completed and expired do not return to the pool of available course to take. Why not ?

For instance, if I take the "DC ADIZ" online course in May of 2006 and it expires in May 2007. Why doesn't it re-appear as eligible in June 2007 ?

During my layoff of nearly a year, I kept my head in the game by taking online courses. I've taken all the FAA online course in their catalog. Unless they create a lot of new ones this summer, I'll run out of online FAA courses to take for my next WINGS phase.

Any ideas ??

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't get the Wings program. Everyone seems to use it in lieu of a flight review, but last I checked it was quicker to do the flight review.

Honestly, I don't get the Wings program. Everyone seems to use it in lieu of a flight review, but last I checked it was quicker to do the flight review.
True, but quicker isn't necessarily as good.

Here's one thing I don't understand... courses that have completed and expired do not return to the pool of available course to take. Why not ?

For instance, if I take the "DC ADIZ" online course in May of 2006 and it expires in May 2007. Why doesn't it re-appear as eligible in June 2007 ?

During my layoff of nearly a year, I kept my head in the game by taking online courses. I've taken all the FAA online course in their catalog. Unless they create a lot of new ones this summer, I'll run out of online FAA courses to take for my next WINGS phase.

Any ideas ??

They should have new courses by then. And AOPA comes up with them frequently.

Tim,
I'm sure there will be new courses, but so far there's not enough to get to the "Master" level inside the new program. I simply suggest that when a pilot's credit expires, that course is now eligible to be re-taken. I think it would be good business to have recurrent courses that could be re-taken annually. Things like airspace review, ADIZ, weather, GPS & etc. After all, we review the same flight skills year to year, the knowledge portion should be no different.

To that end, I've contacted my local FAAST lead. I like the new WINGS. It seems to be more in line with recurrent training. Training that could be spread out over 12 month rather than just 3 hours once every 2 years.

Back