Wings Basic Phase 2 requirements

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I just finished Basic WINGS - Phase 1, the one that supposedly substitutes for a Flight Review.

So I then looked at Phase 2. The faasafety.gov page lists three knowledge activities and three flight activities.

The three required knowledge activities consist of a seminar, a course, and this item, which appears to be incredibly out of reach:

Knowledge Topic 2
1 Credit
Flight
NFS-001-Annual
Annual recurrent training

If I click on that link, it takes me to a page for a program at a company called Nashua Flight Simulator. This faasafety page describes 10 hours of ground school (!) plus 10 hours of simulator training (!). On top of that, you must do all this in just one place, New Hampshire (!).

I don't get it. There are four Basic phases, and to just get past the second phase, do you really have to do something this unreasonable, or did I misunderstand the WINGS page?

You need to click on the link on the right (under where it says "MORE" and "SEARCH") that takes you to all of the other options for each of the steps. There are always several readily-available options for each level, it's just that the default ones don't always seem to make sense. They shouldn't even have default listings, it should just take you to the list of options.

Jeff

I just finished Basic WINGS - Phase 1, the one that supposedly substitutes for a Flight Review.

So I then looked at Phase 2. The faasafety.gov page lists three knowledge activities and three flight activities.

The three required knowledge activities consist of a seminar, a course, and this item, which appears to be incredibly out of reach:

Knowledge Topic 2
1 Credit
Flight
NFS-001-Annual
Annual recurrent training

If I click on that link, it takes me to a page for a program at a company called Nashua Flight Simulator. This faasafety page describes 10 hours of ground school (!) plus 10 hours of simulator training (!). On top of that, you must do all this in just one place, New Hampshire (!).

I don't get it. There are four Basic phases, and to just get past the second phase, do you really have to do something this unreasonable, or did I misunderstand the WINGS page?

It doesn't "supposedly" substitute for a flight review -- it's black letter law in 14 CFR 61.56:
(e) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

You need to click on the link on the right (under where it says "MORE" and "SEARCH") that takes you to all of the other options for each of the steps. There are always several readily-available options for each level, it's just that the default ones don't always seem to make sense. They shouldn't even have default listings, it should just take you to the list of options.

Jeff

Thank you. That clears it up. I mistook a suggestion for a requirement. They don't label it as either. And I didn't realize a list of options was under the "More" category.

The list of options includes some items I would like. They could improve the format of the list, though, by sorting the 100+ entries into categories so that you don't have to scan through a lot of chaff to find what you want.

Last edited:
It's amazing how confusing . . . the WINGS website is.

Right there is the reason that so many of us just ignore it.

But the new Phase pins are much larger and have two pins to hold them on, so that they stay right side up. Guess where the FAA has been paying attention? Like the friggin pin is more important than what you have to do to earn it. :rolleyes2:

Used to be easy to comply with the requirements of the wings program.Rather than keeping it simple,they have made it more complicated and confusing. And they wonder why people dropped out of the program.

Right there is the reason that so many of us just ignore it.

But the new Phase pins are much larger and have two pins to hold them on, so that they stay right side up. Guess where the FAA has been paying attention? Like the friggin pin is more important than what you have to do to earn it. :rolleyes2:

Don't know if it is still true, but the pins used to be paid for by one of the insurance companies (AVEMCO, I think). The FAA was just the distributor.

It's amazing how confusing and intimidating the WINGS website is.

Try and find out how to pay for a 530W database subscription on the Jeppesen website. That site (or, more like some bastardization of 3 sites thrown together) is the very definition of an internet CF, even when you're trying to throw a few C-notes their way.

Used to be easy to comply with the requirements of the wings program.Rather than keeping it simple,they have made it more complicated and confusing. And they wonder why people dropped out of the program.

I keep reading/hearing stuff like this. Yes, the website if far from perfect, but it really isn't hard to manage if you have half-competent CFI to guide you through the first time. Sometimes folks seem to conflate "different" with "confusing".

Back