Wings and Wheels in Houston

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
On the third Saturday of each month, The 1940 Air Terminal Museum at William P. Hobby Airport (KHOU) in Houston, TX hosts a themed fundraising event called Wings and Wheels. At this event, we invite the public to not only view the museum displays, but also a variety of planes and classic cars that we feature on static display. Cost is $10/adults and $5/children, with a 50% discount for those who fly in or bring a classic car. Fly-in visitors are definitely welcome, but we ask that you call ahead as our ramp space is limited.

Here are the themes for the next few months*:

Saturday, June 16, 2007 - New Aircraft Expo
Come see the newest planes a variety of manufacturers have to offer!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 - Salute to Trans-Texas Airways
Join us in celebrating the heritage of a long-standing airline, which still operates today under the name of the bankrupt airline they purchased. 10 points if you can reply back to this post with their current name.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 - Beech Bonanza 60th Birthday Party
All Bonanzas are welcome! Come and join us in celebrating this long-standing and venerable aircraft design.

*Themes are subject to change.

Last edited:
Join us in celebrating the heritage of a long-standing airline, which still operates today under the name of the bankrupt airline they purchased. 10 points if you can reply back to their post with their current name.

Trans-Texas Airways was re-branded Texas International, and subsequently acquired Continental Airlines, which now flies high from its Houston home.

Amazing, really, how few realize this sequence.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I knew I could rely on a fellow Texan to know that one. One of my fellow volunteers at the museum flew DC-3's for TTA, then DC-9's for TI. He landed the very first plane at IAH (a TI DC-9) and retired as a DC-9 captain for Continental in the late 1980's.

(Takes a bow)

Salute to Bonanzas, huh? Maybe I need to fly down for that one.

I have always wanted to tour the old Terminal, used to worry that some moron in city government (but I repeat myself) would tear it down.
As a one-time Houstonian, I am glad to see it has been preserved and is being used to good effect.

Well, we'd love to have you any time, but especially that month. I saw in another post that you have a Bonanza, and I almost PM'd you about this event, but I figured I'd just post my shameless plug and hope you'd see it. Please consider this a personal invitation to come down for a visit.

spike has a bonanza???? only in his dreams!!!!!!!!

spike has a bonanza???? only in his dreams!!!!!!!!

Ah, he knoweth me too well!

I "have" a Bonanza in the sense that I have access to three of 'em, through the RFC Dallas Flying Club.

Not that it appears likely to do me any good this weekend anyway, with central/south Texas WX being sucky in the extreme.

Oops, my bad. I must be confusing you with someone else. My apologies. Still, you're welcome just the same.

I just wanted to post again in this thread to remind people that we have the Wings & Wheels event at Hobby Airport in Houston this coming Saturday. The theme for this month is a New Aircraft Expo, and we are expecting a G1000 Diamond DA40XL, a G1000 Cessna 182 Turbo Skylane, a Piper of some kind, and an Aviat Husky. Hawker-Beechcraft is a probable attendee, and they will most likely be bringing a Bonanza G36 or Baron G58. I'm also awaiting final confirmation from Cirrus, Columbia, and Legend Cubs. It should be a good event, barring any adverse weather, and we'd love to have anyone come down. I'll even knock 50% off of the admission fee for you and your passengers if you fly in. I hope to see you there!

We referred to TTA as Tree-Top Airlines when I was a kid. They had a regular afternoon flight into Jackson, MS that appeared to follow US 80 at 1500'. I believe it was a DC-3...could have been a Martin.

TTA is still affectionately referred to as Tree-top airlines by many of their veteran pilots, my fellow volunteer at the museum included. They did have a large fleet of -3's, so that very well could have been what you flew on.

Back