Wing walking 9 year olds

Bleh... tethered. When a 16 year old here wanted her wing walking mother to teach her to do it as a surprise for her father's birthday, mom insisted they'd do it the old school way. No tether, no chutes.

The nine year olds have probably dreamed about wingwalking since they were kids.

Bleh... tethered. When a 16 year old here wanted her wing walking mother to teach her to do it as a surprise for her father's birthday, mom insisted they'd do it the old school way. No tether, no chutes.

Okay, now, you're cheering the idea that a teenaged girl will walk around on an airplane in flight without any safety equipment, but you freak out at the idea that someone might trailer autogas to the airport you fly out of . . ?

:dunno:

I dunno...is a nine year old capable of comprehending the risk?

Not sure I like that, but to each (and thier own), their own....I guess.

Call me the over protective parent if you wish but this is bad news, man.
What do we say if, God forbid, tragedy happens? At least this child died doing what she loved to do? Count me out.

Kids have been stolen by the state for less, much less. That would be my biggest worry if I was in the wingwalking business. Personally I have no problem with kids being raised to their parents standard of risk. Of course that is illegal, we need the lowest common denominator if cowardliness as the proper standard.

Kids have been stolen by the state for less, much less. That would be my biggest worry if I was in the wingwalking business. Personally I have no problem with kids being raised to their parents standard of risk. Of course that is illegal, we need the lowest common denominator if cowardliness as the proper standard.

:yeahthat:

You cannot keep kids in bubble until they are adults. Every damned thing we do if fraught with risk. Would you keep your kid from playing school sports because, you know, some kid had a heart attack? Bull! You, the parent, need to be educated about the risks AND the rewards.
While it would not have been my 9 year old up there (or even me for a whole bunch of other reasons), this is what the children grew up with.
Look at the Walenda's. Seven generations of wire walkers.
Here is five.
When does the state get to say something is more dangerous than, say community baseball or crossing the street?
Does the girl know the risk? Five generations of history tells me she knows the risk, maybe cannot appreciate it because of her age, but it was the parents choice, not hers.

Hence the tether?

I can't help but think of Amanda Franklin (engine trouble, got back in, but suffered burns that proved fatal) and that other wing walking gal who died because the roll too close to the ground was not executed properly.

I suppose these girls were not subject to the low level antics of the latter example, but it still feels a bit like exploitation to me. Even if the girls "wanted to do it for their friends"...

However, I am not their parent, nor am I a parent. Just sharing my views, that's all.

What do we say if, God forbid, tragedy happens? At least this child died doing what she loved to do? Count me out.

Look how well things turned out for Jessica Dubroff...

These arguments are just a hair away from not allowing kids in GA airplanes. Kid strapped to the wing is the same as a kid strapped in a seat. If the flight profile is the same and the seats and belts equally reliable, perception is the only difference.

I can't help but think of Amanda Franklin (engine trouble, got back in, but suffered burns that proved fatal) and that other wing walking gal who died because the roll too close to the ground was not executed properly.

I suppose these girls were not subject to the low level antics of the latter example, but it still feels a bit like exploitation to me. Even if the girls "wanted to do it for their friends"...

However, I am not their parent, nor am I a parent. Just sharing my views, that's all.

Kid strapped to the wing is the same as a kid strapped in a seat. If the flight profile is the same and the seats and belts equally reliable, perception is the only difference.

If the flight profile involves a mishap, where do you want to be, seat or wing?

If the flight profile involves a mishap, where do you want to be, seat or wing?

Individual crash specifics would outweigh any survive ability differences. Not a lot of engineering in old biplane seats. Risk perception not reality, don't fall for it. Someday a 9 year old going up in a regular spam can will be a news story, followed by the parents being arrested for child endangerment.

Individual crash specifics would outweigh any survive ability differences. Not a lot of engineering in old biplane seats. Risk perception not reality, don't fall for it.
I respectfully disagree

Someday a 9 year old going up in a regular spam can will be a news story, followed by the parents being arrested for child endangerment.
I respectfully (and disappointedly) agree.

Okay, now, you're cheering the idea that a teenaged girl will walk around on an airplane in flight without any safety equipment, but you freak out at the idea that someone might trailer autogas to the airport you fly out of . . ?

:dunno:
She's unlikely to fall on my aircraft.

Jane Wicker was "the other wing walking gal".

The Kiddie Gestapo thinks that you are REQUIRED to.

If there had been the same kind of "protective" services in the 1960s as we have now, I would have had a really boring childhood.

Hey, if kids can handle poisonous snakes in a church in the West Virginia region of Appalachia, we certainly have the right to strap them to the wing of an airplane. After all, it's only about the parents' freedom here and nothing else matters.

Hey, if kids can handle poisonous snakes in a church in the West Virginia region of Appalachia, we certainly have the right to strap them to the wing of an airplane. After all, it's only about the parents' freedom here and nothing else matters.

Do kids belong to their parents or to the state?

And a fuel trailer is unlikely to cause any kind of problem at all.

Anybody with a clue of the LAW or fire safety does not agree with you. But do you intend to disrupt every thread I participate in with your pointless personal attacks?

Do kids belong to their parents or to the state?

How about a pedophile's child? How about a mentally unstable parent's child? How about a compulsive Hoarder who has become a danger to the child? How about some completely sane religious nut denying his kid much needed medical attention? Freedom is a two edged sword, my friend.

I was sincere in my comment. I do believe that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their children and if and when it goes south, it's their hell to pay.

Those poisonous snakes must be defanged.

How about a pedophile's child? How about a mentally unstable parent's child? How about a compulsive Hoarder who has become a danger to the child? How about some completely sane religious nut denying his kid much needed medical attention? Freedom is a two edged sword, my friend.

I was sincere in my comment. I do believe that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their children and if and when it goes south, it's their hell to pay.

How about a blue water sailor's child? Or a GA pilot's child? Either the kids belong to parents or they don't. I bet if you put it to popular vote the country would not allow children to fly in GA airplanes. Freedom is not a two edged sword people are *******. My cousin adopted a kid that was taken from his mom at birth by the precrime department. I can say without reservation the world would be a better place if the kid was left to die at his mothers hand. If someone has the genetic makeup to harm their kids, good chance those kids are not going to play well in polite society no matter how much swpl nurture you dump on them.

Back