Wing Walk

gkdave

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Questions or suggestions-

My Piper Warrior II is currently being painted and now have a decision to make.

Paint on Wing Walk or the tape on?

I have found clear tape on Wing Walk and was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

So debate away... Leaning on the clear tape, right or wrong?

Thanks guys.

How durable is the tape on? I would go with painted just because I know it can be repainted easily.

I have vinyl stripes on mine and wish they were painted. Not much I can do about the wear except take them off and start over. I had my wing walks touched up awhile ago, didn't cost enough to be memorable.

How durable is the tape on? I would go with painted just because I know it can be repainted easily.

I've seen the sheets of wing walk last for fifteen years or more on unhangared planes. I put a sheet of it to the hot water test in the bottom of my bathtub. So far, it's lasted through ten years of daily showers.

It does depend on how well the preparation was done.

Thanks guys.. Looks like its preference. Good to know.. appreciate the help

When I bought my plane, one of the things I did during the first annual was remove the adhesive wing walk that was peeling at the corners and replace it with a painted walk. I'm happy with that decision, but it's only been 3 years.

Just make darn sure it's completely dry before walking on it. I do have one scuff mark where it was still a little bit tacky 24 hrs after application.

We had an entrant for Flagship Navion last year that put wingwalk grit in the otherwise (yellow) paint. It actually looked rather cool. Of course, I'm not sure how pretty it looked after having people walk all over it compared to the traditional black wing walk.

Back