Wing-Tip Vorticies

Good vidoes Rob. I could certainly use those in a training program for a good video visual. All I have now are still photos.

That second one with the L-1011 is my favorite. They showed it to us in ground school.

We can see it sometimes when we're landing behind something heavy in BOS and LGA; when the water on the approach end is glassy their wake easily shows up, usually about the time they're exiting the runway and we're on short final.

been there, done that... happily it only took my astonished butt into a 70 or 80 degree bank with a nose drop. Twice. :eek:

Wow,... I think I'd have to change my shorts if something like that happened, and then convince my wife to let me fly again. :eek:

Well, I AM going for some tasty unusual attitude recovery training in September! :D :D

Dunno why, but it just occurred to me, oh, a week or two ago, that I might want to explore how to get my butt back upright if ever I found myself, say, inverted! :eek:

I was flying copilot on a B-25 when we got into wake turbulence from a B-17 during a pass in front of a the crowd. We were slowed down to stay on the B-17s right wing. It got ugly when the B-17 crowded us and we had to drop more behind the B-17's wing to stay off the crowd stand off line. It rolled us 90 degrees in seconds. It took full power and full aileron/rudder to roll out. Scared the daylights out of us too.

My dad was a B-24 pilot in WWII. He landed behind a B-25 one day and experience significant wake turbulence on final. Not pretty low, slow in a four engine bomber either.

JimR

Back