Wing Rash

U

Unregistered

Posting in the hope that other can learn from my mistake...

I was taxiing on uneven grass the other day and needed to clear an obstacle with the wing. I slowed down to make sure the wing was clear. It was clearly above the obstacle so I felt fine continuing. However, taxiing on a rough surface makes the wings bob up and down as I hit highs and lows in the ground. Unfortunately, as I moved over the obstacle, the wing went down and I scraped the edge of it on the obstacle. No damage except some scratched paint and injured pride, but both were completely avoidable.

On an even, paved surface this never would have happened because I would not have been vertically clear of the obstacle so I would not have proceeded. I've learned not to rely on vertical wing clearance when taxiing on an uneven ground.

That bites.
Hey, maybe you could go through at Vs0 minus 2 and have enough lift to get the wing over?
j/k, sorry for the damage.

One time I accidentally taxied too close to a pickup truck parked by a hangar. Fortunately the tip of the wing cleared the bed of the truck, so no harm done. (It was on an ashphalt surface).

In the winter, they plow the snow into piles in a line directly in between the hangars. While I would normally taxi in the center of the hangars, the snow barrier provides an artificial boundary. Because of that, I once taxied between the row of hangars and the snow. I'm betting the wingtip was no further away than 2 inches from those hangars. Whoops.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back