Wine tasting: Is it considered drinking if you don't swallow?

I always wondered... is there a good story behind the 8 hour bottle to throttle and .04 rules both existing?

Every time I think of that, my first thought is how drunk was the guy who hadn't had anything in 8 hours but was still over .04?

I'd guess at least 90% of the people reading this thread have, at some point, drank enough to still be over .04 eight hours after. If you drink enough to have a hangover your most likely over .04 as that is a very small number.

It seems everyone is trying to look at this logically (to the letter of the law, what constitutes consumption, etc.). In my view, the only way to look at this is FAAically (which we all know defies many things resembling logic).

I would agree. There are seemingly endless posts on PoA inquiring about how close someone can fly to the proverbial sun and defend himself if the FAA challenges his suntan. While you MIGHT not be challenged, and if you are, you MIGHT be judged with common sense objectivity, a more realistic expectation is that your actions will be judged subjectively on perceived intent. We all know the rules. Don't file IFR if you don't intend to operate IFR, and don't take a drink if you intend to operate an aircraft. I'm not sure why there is a need or desire to test the limits, or why some folks seem to believe that they are likely to win a seemingly logical argument with the FAA should they be challenged.

JKG

Refer to monicalewinsky.com :D

I'd guess at least 90% of the people reading this thread have, at some point, drank enough to still be over .04 eight hours after. If you drink enough to have a hangover your most likely over .04 as that is a very small number.

Guilty! :redface:

There was a wonderful episode of "Rumpole of the Bailey" based around just that question -- see "Rumpole and the Blind Tasting", which you may be able to find for viewing on line. You can also read it in the collection "Rumpole's Last Case".

Some libraries have the series on DVD.

There were times in college when I think I was still at .04 a week later.

Depends on how much the weigh. My wife was playing with this little drinks->bac calculator and found that I can drink substantially more than she can. Your 90 lb little woman will be at .05 with one drink. It only puts me at .02.

See the advantage of being fat :) try running the numbers on some one 275. I can drink a lot more and still be legal.

To me this is just a complete non issue. If I'm drinking wine, I'm drinking wine. I'm not spitting it out. I'm not having one or two glasses. I'm drinking motherf***ing wine. Or beer. Or scotch. Or whatever. I'll simply abide by the eight hour rule or however much longer it takes to be in fine shape and be done with it.

It has to be a pretty potent desert then and you ought not to be flying then either.

Lots of deserts and main course meals that you would order at a nice restaurant have liquor or wine as an ingredient, and rarely would you even know it's in there. Most of the time a good portion of the alcohol is cooked off, but there will almost certainly be some residual amount. The point is not that you should never consume these foods before flying, but rather that many of us have probably ingested alcohol through food without ever realizing it. And same as with tasting but not ingesting wine, I doubt very much that your ability to safely operate an aircraft would be compromised.

To me this is just a complete non issue. If I'm drinking wine, I'm drinking wine. I'm not spitting it out. I'm not having one or two glasses. I'm drinking motherf***ing wine. Or beer. Or scotch. Or whatever. I'll simply abide by the eight hour rule or however much longer it takes to be in fine shape and be done with it.

It's not a good idea to get completely hammered when visiting vineyards though. Your judgement goes out the window and you end up buying crap that you regret. I still have cases of overpriced junk from a drunken romp through Napa 4 or 5 ago. I try to give it away now at every opportunity. So now I just sip and perhaps spit so I can choose wisely. Then I go home and mother****ing drink the wine. :D

Someone said earlier to not inhale. I know someone who snorts vaporized sambuca and claims it is not drinking. I tell you, some people. :nono:

A lot of girls will debate the whole if I didn't swallow does it count rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And same as with tasting but not ingesting wine, I doubt very much that your ability to safely operate an aircraft would be compromised.

Depends how much. I suspect those of you who are proposing this haven't done this at all. Spitting isn't 100%. Perhaps with a few glasses you can, but I can guarantee that in a larger tasting (say 30 wines), even spitting is going to leave you with an appreciable BAC.

So please help me out here. Every morning, I brush my teeth and use Listerine before I go to the airport. Am I hosed?

It's not a good idea to get completely hammered when visiting vineyards though. Your judgement goes out the window and you end up buying crap that you regret. I still have cases of overpriced junk from a drunken romp through Napa 4 or 5 ago. I try to give it away now at every opportunity. So now I just sip and perhaps spit so I can choose wisely. Then I go home and mother****ing drink the wine. :D

Someone said earlier to not inhale. I know someone who snorts vaporized sambuca and claims it is not drinking. I tell you, some people. :nono:

Yeah true, but that's so in practically any situation where there is lots of alcohol and stuff to buy.

"So you want special massage no?"

I'm a fairly cheap bastard at the wineries though. I'll pay to taste the good stuff at Beringer's reserve room, then pick up a case of Carlos Rossi at Javed's Quick Mart for the trip home.

If you drink, don't fly.

If you fly, don't drink.

Fly responsibly.

This message is brought to you by the people that make Duff. Oh yeah... :cheerswine::cheerswine:

It's not a good idea to get completely hammered when visiting vineyards though. Your judgement goes out the window and you end up buying crap that you regret. I still have cases of overpriced junk from a drunken romp through Napa 4 or 5 ago. I try to give it away now at every opportunity. So now I just sip and perhaps spit so I can choose wisely. Then I go home and mother****ing drink the wine. :

I agree not a good idea. Also not a good idea to do to many wineries in one day for the same reason.
I do think wine tastings are a great idea. Just buy what you like and do not worry what the wine snobs say :).

If you drink, don't fly.

If you fly, don't drink.

Fly responsibly.

This message is brought to you by the people that make Duff. Oh yeah... :cheerswine::cheerswine:

You have categorically eliminated 99% of the aviation pioneers of the world.

Just don't drink when you fly, can we all agree on that one?

It has to be a pretty potent desert then and you ought not to be flying then either.

Come to Italy, even the boxed, wrapped, snack cakes by Ferrero you buy at the store are loaded with booze.:yesnod: Orange Fiesta ones are my favorite.

So please help me out here. Every morning, I brush my teeth and use Listerine before I go to the airport. Am I hosed?

No, even if you did that right before the test, you may or may not bust. If you do, they wait a couple of minutes and retest. All you have there is alcohol on the surface of your mouth which will evaporate away very quickly (yeah, you absorb a trace amount, not enough to bust anyone or likely even register). It's the alcohol being processed out of your body through your lungs that they are looking for.

I've done some tastings where I spat because the wine was too horrible to swallow.

I've done some tastings where I spat because the wine was too horrible to swallow.

I've done that twice in my life. 1) Yellow Tail Cabernet, and 2) White Zinfandel. I actually sent the glass of white zin back, I ordered a red one. I took a sip thinking I'd drink it anyway, but I couldn't. It was just nasty. I like Carlos Rossi better.

I'm generally a careful-what-you-post type, but apparently not today.

I've done it. Visited a friend's B&B in Virginia's wine country for the day. Went to a couple of wine tastings (probably 10-ish wines in total) and spit. Then took a little hike, had dinner, and flew home.

Personally, I felt I was within the letter of the law because of the "consumption" word.

I also believe I was in the spirit of the law because (as the Dutch study showed) it's an outrageously small amount of EtOH that is absorbed / trickles in, and it was several hours (though not quite 8) before I flew.

I also felt I was in a reasonable place re enforcement because the people I was with knew that I wasn't drinking and could see me spitting. Even if there was a point when I could have blown 0.02, by the time I got anywhere near a plane it would have been 0.00 without question. All together, I believed these facts would weigh in my favor in front of an FAA official or administrative law judge if somehow it did come to someone's attention. I clearly wasn't "trying to see how much I could get away with" etc.

I know there's no way to know for sure what the FAA or law judge will decide (short a chief counsel letter :goofy:), but the factors above are what I weighed before deciding to taste and spit.

That being said, on the next visit I got a room at the B&B and more fully enjoyed the wine :yes:

We made the mistake of 'touring' the 'winery' in Gatlinburg TN (both terms used very loosely). Good lord. I don't know what those people were making, but it sure wasn't wine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

We made the mistake of 'touring' the 'winery' in Gatlinburg TN (both terms used very loosely). Good lord. I don't know what those people were making, but it sure wasn't wine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

They have some good moonshine distilleries up there...

Back