Wine Is Good For You

I believe in discreet moderation and moderate discretion.

I of course believe in wine.

Member of the Society of Wine Educators and the International Brotherhood of the Order of the Vine. Life member of the American Wine Society.

Certified Wine Judge, Wine and Spirits Education Trust Level 2 and 3 Certification with Distinction. Parker/Zraly Level I and II certification. Produced two vintages of wine at Vint Hill Craft Winery.

I've got an over 3000 bottle cellar.

Last edited:
I'm also a big wine connoisseur.
I have a cabinet with 3 or 4 very nice cabs still sealed in their boxes.

sheeit, I drink a lot of wine. no wonder why I'm such a fatass.

Can't beat Costco for wine, even their own label pretty good.

Can't beat Costco for wine, even their own label pretty good.

I've never found the Kirkland stuff to be all that great, but the price is right.

What Costco (and Sam's Club) stocks is highly regional depending on what the local liquor laws are, what distributors are avialable, and how good the local wine buyer is.

Amusingly we have two Sam's clubs about 20 miles apart here. One has an a rather pedestrian sampling of wine and the other has a really interestingly chosen selection across a variety of styles and price points.

If we're talking quantity over quality....

Just came across the "Bota Box" label of California box wines. Several different varietals, and white/red blends. The blends definitely meet the "box wine" level of expectation, not as horrible as Franzia, but definitely table wine. The Shiraz isn't bad. About $20 for the equivalent of 4 bottles for which I would expect to pay $12-15 dollars each.

Yes, wine is good, but watch them there calories...WHEW! something like 125 for 5 ounces...

So, about three glasses a day to meet a typical adult male's nutritional needs. Sounds about right. :yes:

We go to Trader Joe's for Three Buck Chuck.....Charles Shaw. Most compare well with the other $10-15/bottle wines we like. Like it much better than what I tasted in an $800 bottle a former boss purchased while on a business trip trying to impress some clients!

All I know is...

Wine improves with age and...

Age improves with wine!

One of the nicest things about working for myself is that I can sip a glass of cheap red while I work. In most of the world, that doesn't raise an eyebrow. But in the U.S., they think you're an alky.

Rich

Wine is fine to dine,however bourbon will always be my favorite.

I'm married to a wine maker so I'm a bit biased. I too have a large cellar of wine & go to many tastings with my wife.

I love drinking wine that has been properly paired with the food being served. I'm a b it of a wine snob & usually disappointed at wines offered at many dinning establishments. I often find myself passing on wine due to a poor selection.

In spite of the fact that we're very involved in the wine industry my choice of beverage for an after dinner drink is Scotch.

My MD recommends a glass of red wine in the evening but also warns of the calories.

Cheers!

Drinking boxed wines pretty much makes you a Sommelier.

Everyone has different tastes, especially when it comes to wine. And just because it's expensive, or you like it, doesn't mean everyone will.

I'm a bit of a wine snob &

Are you this good at it?
A friend said he had a dinner party at the house, and one of the guests, after sipping the glass of wine he accepted from the host (my friend), and which 6 other people had been drinking, rushed to the sink, spit it out loudly pronouncing it "Too sweet! Too sweet!", then poured the glass down the drain for all to see. It was not a $10 bottle of wine either.

Not a big fan of wine. I like tea. Anything that can pass the blood brain barrier like alcohol - no good.

I've never liked wine. Always gives me cold chills, blawh! Didn't like beer at first, too, but have developed a taste for dark brews, cream ales, and malt liquors. Years ago, my wife took a college geography course, "Geography of Wine" it was very interesting, I learned a lot.

A PhD friend of mine was on a research committee of the NIH doing a "is alcohol good for you" study. She said that the cardiologists looking at the data were close to putting it on the food pyramid.

We keep some of the raw materials out in the field. Chardonnay with white oak rough staves from our woods in the background.
Picked 20 tons of Chard this year;-)

Are you this good at it?
A friend said he had a dinner party at the house, and one of the guests, after sipping the glass of wine he accepted from the host (my friend), and which 6 other people had been drinking, rushed to the sink, spit it out loudly pronouncing it "Too sweet! Too sweet!", then poured the glass down the drain for all to see. It was not a $10 bottle of wine either.

I have family members like that. The problem is that most of them don't know what they're talking about. I could pour a Ripple into an expensive bottle and they'd rave about it.

There's swill at the very bottom of the price scale, and there are a few exquisite wines at the very top. In between, price has little correlation with quality. Some of the best wines I've ever had have been in the $10.00 - $15.00 price range. A few have been even less.

I know more about wine than I let on because I like to let my family think I'm ignorant. It makes listening to them at family gatherings more amusing. My youngest brother is the same way. He knows more about wine than anyone I know. But he plays stupid for the entertainment value of listening to the know-it-alls making asses of themselves.

Right now, I think a lot of the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo wines are excellent values, if you like young, dry reds. But really, there are so many good wines coming out of so many countries right now that finding eminently drinkable ones is easier than ever.

Rich

The only good wine is wine that you like;-)

Yep, and I like lots of different wines. One of the challenges of getting the wine judge certification (which takes in excess of three years with a rather arduous exam at the end and on your recert every five years) is you have to drink a lot of wines you wouldn't ordinarily drink.

I drink a lot of dry reds and occasionally whites and sparklers and some port or madiera. Still I had to drink muscadines and other native American grapes, fruit wines, meads, etc... to learn how to judge them. Actually, some of them are indeed an acquired taste.

A PhD friend of mine was on a research committee of the NIH doing a "is alcohol good for you" study. She said that the cardiologists looking at the data were close to putting it on the food pyramid.

It's at the base of my pyramid. :D

Yep, and I like lots of different wines. One of the challenges of getting the wine judge certification (which takes in excess of three years with a rather arduous exam at the end and on your recert every five years) is you have to drink a lot of wines you wouldn't ordinarily drink.

I drink a lot of dry reds and occasionally whites and sparklers and some port or madiera. Still I had to drink muscadines and other native American grapes, fruit wines, meads, etc... to learn how to judge them. Actually, some of them are indeed an acquired taste.

Practice, practice, practice. Somebody's gotta do it:D
Used to judge home made at the county fair....one of the best we tasted was a jalapeno wine. The soul of the pepper with a slow burn and perfect body and finish. Now the tomato wines:hairraise:

I do a couple of amateur wine competitions a year and get wierd stuff. This year for some reason was "lime and coconut" (and eat it all up). I had some very excellent root beer wine before.

The only good wine is wine that you like;-)

Yep. I was once told "I can't claim to know what good wine is, but I know what I like, and that's all that anybody knows."

I rarely spend more than $15 on a bottle of wine. Usually I drink Bota Box red zin with dinner. $20 for a box that's equivalent to 4 bottles.

Doing some home testing on this theory tonight. Long day called for two glasses of Malbec. (my fave)

Back