Windsor Red Bull Air Races

steamee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steamee
Just got back from the Red Bull Air Races in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It was the first time I've seen the event and it was great to do so in the city I grew up in and I got to visit family as well. Got some casual pictures.

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, but let me say that it was a great time for both aviators and non-aviators alike. The competition element was fun to watch, fast, and with easy to grasp rules. My non-aviation wife and university buddy got into it as much as I. Having good weather, beers, and snacks didn't hurt either. :D I was really surprised and delighted that there were so many spectators of all ages around. Sometimes it seems like people are all jaded about aircraft due to the drudgery of hauling oneself on airlines so it was good to see people really take notice.

A packed 2 days started with the qualifying rounds where I nonchalantly picked Paul Bonhomme to take it all. I was right of course! :) There were flying demonstrations by the RCAF, Red Bull parachuting teams, some crazy who could roll a helicopter longitudinally, and something I'd never seen flying before - a F4U Corsair. Sweet!

The highlight for me was the public pit walk-through at Windsor airport after qualifying day. Got to talk with some of my favorite racers, American Mike Goulian, and Australian Matt Hall, and it was a blast. Great guys. Would have stopped by hometown Canadian hero Pete McLeod (this guy had the entire waterfront cheering him) but his booth was mobbed by fans. Also saw a good number of other aircraft at the airport including some WWII vintage stuff which is my favorite.

Race day was beautiful and far from predictable. Pete McLeod, in his rookie year, got to place and compete in the round of 12 finalists for the first time which was awesome for him on home turf. He didn't post a good enough time to advance, but all the same he flew well. Mike Goulian posted a 4th place time to advance to the 8s along with Matt Hall.

There it all went south for Goulian and Hall along with several other veterans to the audience surprise. Shifting winds caused spectacular pylon hits by almost every flier including 2-3 safety climb outs to leave the course including the favored to win Frenchman, Nicolas Ivanoff. Several other twists and turns ensued until the final 4 competition saw Austrian Hannes Arch fly a superb but penalized final round. Englishman Paul Bonhomme then flew a flawless lap to best Arch by probably less than a second and take 1st place even though his actual lap time was a bit slower.

My only regret was that the full field of competitors could not fly. Peter Besenyei had an engine failure in a pre-race photo op flight and was forced to land in a farm field. His story in the interview really made me think about how these things can just happen any time. I mean here's a guy with his own dedicated crew carefully giving attention to his aircraft 24/7! Yoshihide Muroya damaged his plane during an earlier training session over the course in a pylon strike. They shipped the Edge back to the factory so he had to sit out.

Overall though - wow. These guys are all amazing doing what they do at those speeds and at such low altitudes. Really inspired me to keep working on my flying even if it's just to be straight and level. :) If you get a chance to see this do check it out. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Last edited:
Great writeup, Steamee! A few of us went to it last year, and had a blast, despite having the first day of competition canceled due to winds. This year, of course, the date conflicted with Gaston's, so we weren't able to attend.

I went to the San Diego Red Bull Air Races in May. I went with 2 non-aviation friends and they loved it too! I was glad cuz I get sick of going to things like that alone. It's nice because the air races appeal to people who just like things that go fast too, not necessarily airplanes!

Hehe, I'm usually soloing aviation museums and air shows. I think having RBAR over waterways is genius (as well as for safety reasons I'm sure) since it really means that the event is right in plain view as opposed to maybe driving to a small remote airport. I'm also surprised how many people I talked to didn't know that there were once air races in the 1930s and they were very different from RBAR. It's surprising and sad I suppose that so much aviation history is unknown.

Back