Windshield installation

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Grrrr.... :sad:

So the LP Aero windshield arrived and we're ready to install.

But, I'm having a very hard time replicating two bent and curved kerfed plywood strips that were drilled through and apparently held the upper part of the windshield into the wing root (imagine a chesire cat smile in a U shape)

So -- what can I replace this with? Marine or standard 1/2" plywood will not work -- kerf and steam and it will not bend without cracking.

Attachments

• IMG00013-20101109-2127.jpg
    IMG00013-20101109-2127.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG00012-20101109-2127.jpg
    IMG00012-20101109-2127.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00014-20101109-2127.jpg
    IMG00014-20101109-2127.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 12
Grrrr.... :sad:

So the LP Aero windshield arrived and we're ready to install.

But, I'm having a very hard time replicating two bent and curved kerfed plywood strips that were drilled through and apparently held the upper part of the windshield into the wing root (imagine a chesire cat smile in a U shape)

So -- what can I replace this with? Marine or standard 1/2" plywood will not work -- kerf and steam and it will not bend without cracking.

mold your own ply by gluing thin wood strips in to the shape you want.

soak the strips in hot water and 10% ammonia you will think you are building with a noodle

Last edited:
mold your own ply by gluing thin wood strips in to the shape you want.

soak the strips in hot water and 10% ammonia you will think you are building with a noodle

I used that method when building my 65" RC Corsair model to get the wing sheeting to bend to the compound curves of the gull wing. Bathtub works well for the size. Soak 10-15 minutes, wipe off excess water, use Gorilla Glue or similar to laminate the layers when on the form, clamp in place, wipe off excess glue and water from the clamping pressure and let dry. Amazing how strong it is when completed and dry.

I used that method when building my 65" RC Corsair model to get the wing sheeting to bend to the compound curves of the gull wing. Bathtub works well for the size. Soak 10-15 minutes, wipe off excess water, use Gorilla Glue or similar to laminate the layers when on the form, clamp in place, wipe off excess glue and water from the clamping pressure and let dry. Amazing how strong it is when completed and dry.

That's the method of building the EZ landing gear bows.

I use a piece of 6" irrigation pipe which is capped on one end. and held overa camp stove, to boil the water.

The powdered ura-formaldehyde glues work well with this method.

or you can clamp the wood strips to a mold. and allow to dry and then use any epoxy.

Back