Winds and Flights Training Question

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
So I'm just starting out on my 2nd hour, and dying to get out there, read half the Aeronautical and pilot handbook. Today in NJ was beautiful however the winds were wild.. I spoke to a pro who said he wansnt bothering and than called up my CFI and he agreed it wouldn't be great so I canceled. So question is, whats the range in winds that are good for training a new pilot? Whats the winds we just don't want to fly these Single engine small planes in?
Would it be good to train in this, hence you can fly in this you can fly in anything type method?

Thanks for your help.

A lot depends on where you are in training and the severity of the winds. You provide no data other than "wild".

10-15 knts where I am at is normal, let's go fly. 25 gusts to 30, not for students.

Time to solo? It's what you are used to. Crosswind training, 15knts max direct crosswind is the max for most training.

Early in your training it's usually better to have winds that are light for your area, that is when you are first starting landings. However, for the first couple flight the CFI is normally doing the landing so it's not that big a deal.
Like Bill says, wild for some is normal for others.

I am a student who just finished all his solo requirements (5 hours XC). For me personally, the speed of the wind is not all that important (under 20 knots). It's the gusts that make me think twice about it. I would rather be in an 18knot crosswind, then a 3knot crosswind with gusts to 13knots.

Also, there are two ways I think are acceptable (could be wrong about this) that people use in cross wind landings.

I just cheat into the wind until the flare, and then straighten up. I think the more common way that's taught, is rudder/lower the wing into the wind all the way in. I have done this a few times, but like it a lot less.

Wind speeds yesterday on Long Island- not far from NJ were gusting to 25- not flyable in my book. On windy days in a small plane you just get beet up. Turbulence galore and hard control inputs make for a tired pilot when you land. If you are just starting out I would keep it to relatively calm days( below 12 knots) until you build a tolerance for flying in small planes. Then, once you gain the tolerance check the direction of the wind related to your runway layout at your home airport( or destination airport if you fly on a cross country). If the wind is strong but relatively lined up down the runway then you don't have much to worry about. If the wind is strong and more than 30 degrees from straight down the runway then landing involves some challenge.

These are just my personal guidelines. With time, you'll develop your own.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys for your input.. Looks like yesterday was just not a good day to fly.. Hopefully I get a few hours.. this week.

What is "Flyable" and what is good for students are two different things. Airplanes are designed for wind that is what they fly in. Now for students that is also going to depend on where they are in there training. Students with low time that are just trying to learn to land the airplane, in my opinion should be limited to lower winds (5 to 10 kt)so they can learn the process first and then you start showing them more and more.

Only did about 4 hours so far trying to do my 5th looks like tomorrows winds are going to be about 14 - 16 mph winds I am comfortable but we are just starting the landings and take offs did 1 full lesson of that and havent flown for 3 weeks good day to go out?

A lot depends on the lesson. I will take an early student up in higher winds, IF we are at a point where it is appropriate to go out and do ground reference maneuvers, then we're probably going to go ahead and fly. On the other hand, if were a the second lesson on landings, not so much.

Ryan

Marc, at this stage in your training your instructor will decide whether the winds are OK to fly in or not. In calm winds he might have you work on landings, wherea in stronger winds he may have you do ground reference maneuvers. Once you've soloed, he'll sign you off to fly solo to the practice area and to some nearby airports. This sign-off will specify certain weather minimums: perhaps up to 7kt crosswind and at least 10m visibility. Over time, as you demonstrate proficiencey, he'll progressively relax your weather minimums: perhaps up to 10kt crosswind and 8m visibility...then 12kt crosswind....then 15kt crosswind and 7m visibility. During this whole time you are developing/sharpening your skills & confidence so that eventually you'll be equipped to make that "go or no go" decision for each flight.
And then, your decision will be based on additional factors: Length of flight, particular features of destination runway, flying solo vs taking your grandma or child, or vs taking a friend who's also a pilot.

You can't learn if you are fighting turbulent winds....the cost of the lesson would be wasted at your early stage of training. After you have more time logged and have a better understanding of how to use the controls in these conditions my answer might be different.

Bob Gardner

Thanks guys for your input, my CFI didnt even look at the winds i did and let him know and he said no its a no go for today..

I canx a flight for yesterday and today because of low and variable ceilings yesterday and high crosswind today. The ceiling issue made it harder to go where I wanted to go and for the winds today it came down to, yea I can handle it but is it that enjoyable to fight the gusty winds? The more you have to work at flying, the less enjoyable it can be. When you are learning it can cause a lot of frustration if the weather is not as good as it could be.

I was afraid of crosswinds for many years because I never had one to train in when I did my Private. Since then, I have had plenty of experience with them and am not afraid. It just takes some of the fun out of it when they are strong and you are just going to go fly circles for fun.

Once I started getting my other ratings including CFI, my confidence grew and my skills obviously got better so my flying weather range increased a lot.

David

Last edited:
When you can do a no-wind landing consistently safely, then more winds are a good idea. Before that, you're learning the dynamics of landing, and winds interfere.

It's less of an issue in winter than summer, but air is often smoother in the morning, the earlier the better. CFIs can be hard to roll out of bed at 7AM, though.

I never had a flight canceled because of wind, even when I was pre-solo. The windier the better for training IMO because you won't be fearful of it when you're out on your own and there's a 10kt crosswind.

Like David, I also ask myself,"Do I WANT to fly in these conditions? Will it be enjoyable or unnecessarily stressful?"
Yes, I CAN handle a 15kt direct crosswind. Yes I CAN fly VFR in 5m visibility. Done that, and flown in strong gusty conditions where my head kept banging on the ceiling. But do I WANT deal with that? Depends on the purpose and length of the flight. I recently made a 35 minute flight to a nontowered field, late afternoon (hardly any traffic) to deliver birthday gifts to my aunt. Sure, I'll accept the gusts and the crosswind. But what if I want to make a 90-minute flight to an extremely busy towered field, to try their restaurant? After 90 minutes will I be alert enough the deal with heavy traffic and a crosswind? Maybe...but that flight might be more enjoyable in calmer winds; perhaps I'll choose a closer destination today. Or make the flight at a different time of day.

Back