Winds aloft not showing up on Foreflight map view?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
In Foreflight, when I turn on the "Winds Aloft" layer on the map page, it comes up looking like the attached picture. No wind barbs, and the altitude selector on the right side of the screen is blacked out. Moving the slider does nothing. Tapping "Auto" changes it to black, but otherwise does nothing.

It IS downloading the wind data, as evidenced by the glide ring's shape. I can also get the wind data if I make a new flight, or see what different altitudes will do to the current flight. It just doesn't show the barbs on the map when selected.

I've been having this problem for a while now. With two different ADS-B receivers (a Stratus and a Sentry). And including where another pilot's Foreflight was showing the wind barbs.

Anybody else ever have this?

upload_2022-3-15_19-49-23.png

I recall having it where it only shows winds aloft at my (or nearest) altitude, not above or below. I don’t remember if I fixed it. My next flight is Thursday, I can play with it then and report back.

Mine shows on the ground (with Wi-Fi/cellular), but not in the air.

I just confirmed that mine does too. But it should work in the air as well, I've seen it do so on other peoples' devices.
Curious how you might make use of it while in flight…

Tactical change of altitude to more favorable winds?

Curious how you might make use of it while in flight…

Tactical change of altitude to more favorable winds?

Yes, primarily to see large-scale wind conditions, how changes in altitude might affect that, etc.

One of the things I don't like about Foreflight is that it gives you an average wind speed over the whole trip when planning, at whatever single altitude you choose. But often on longer trips, it would be better to do the first half of a trip at one altitude and the second half at a different altitude. Or something like that, as the wind shifts. The "Winds Aloft" view allows a quick look at that.

Of course, that's "planning". Once you get up in it, it would be nice to see at a glance what the wind looks like over the whole route at different altitudes.

Is it possible that the winds aloft are included in the "Pack" function (which I do not regularly use)? And it's not actually showing real-time data for the other pilots I've seen bring up the winds aloft? I just thought about this now, so I haven't asked them if they use Pack.

Yes, primarily to see large-scale wind conditions, how changes in altitude might affect that, etc.

One of the things I don't like about Foreflight is that it gives you an average wind speed over the whole trip when planning, at whatever single altitude you choose. But often on longer trips, it would be better to do the first half of a trip at one altitude and the second half at a different altitude. Or something like that, as the wind shifts. The "Winds Aloft" view allows a quick look at that.

Of course, that's "planning". Once you get up in it, it would be nice to see at a glance what the wind looks like over the whole route at different altitudes.

Is it possible that the winds aloft are included in the "Pack" function (which I do not regularly use)? And it's not actually showing real-time data for the other pilots I've seen bring up the winds aloft? I just thought about this now, so I haven't asked them if they use Pack.
I "pack" for every flight...still doesn't show when airborne.
Are you sure those people that use it while airborne aren't doing so with a cellular connection? I've never found it to work through ADS-B.

I "pack" for every flight...still doesn't show when airborne.
Are you sure those people that use it while airborne aren't doing so with a cellular connection? I've never found it to work through ADS-B.

Yes, I'm sure. But what I don't know is if they had it displayed while still on the ground and using a cell connection to display it, then it just stayed on the screen through the flight. I'm flying today, I'll try to remember to try that out.

Back