Windows XP problem

Paul Allen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
When I started up my Dell it would come up to the desktop. No icons or tool bar. I used the disk that came with the computer to reinstall windows. Not its telling me I need service pack 2 and takes you to a download for service pack 3. That won't work because service pack 2 is not installed. I do have my icons and toolbar back, but an outdated windows. What should I do?
Thanks

When I started up my Dell it would come up to the desktop. No icons or tool bar. I used the disk that came with the computer to reinstall windows. Not its telling me I need service pack 2 and takes you to a download for service pack 3. That won't work because service pack 2 is not installed. I do have my icons and toolbar back, but an outdated windows. What should I do?
Thanks

You're Paul Allen! You can call up Bill!

;-)

Seriously...

Get on another computer, download SP2 to CD, and install that way.

You're Paul Allen! You can call up Bill!

;-)

Seriously...

Get on another computer, download SP2 to CD, and install that way.

This is the only Windows computer that I have. I don't have these problems with my Macs. I can't find SP2 to download it.

Here's a link to the fullfile download of SP2.

It should still work. Otherwise, I can Express Mail it to you on a CD tomorrow.

Rich

OK I have the download started. I also got this message when it was booting, Smart Card Resource Management Server has a problem. Should I be worried? I think this started when I opened a bogus email.

Are you using a card reader?

I think that SP2 updates that service, anyway; so I wouldn't worry about it until after the update. Maybe the file got corrupted on the reinstall.

You can, however, try re-registering the DLL if it persists.

From command line:

regsvr32 /u Scardsvr.dll

( reboot )

regsvr32 Scardsvr.dll

( reboot )

Rich

The SP2 install seems to have worked. Is there any other updates I should get?

Thanks

Paul

The SP2 install seems to have worked. Is there any other updates I should get?

Thanks

Paul

Just the important Windows Updates since SP2 (about a hundred, give or take) plus whatever else specifically is required by your apps (.NET Framework, etc.). You can do this through Windows Update by selecting "High Priority Updates."

You may want to install driver updates too, maybe; although my inclination is usually to leave the drivers alone if they are working properly, unless they either bring needed functionality or are tagged critical for security reasons. Some video, sound, and network drivers, in particular, may cause major fits; which is why I am inclined both to not fix them if they're not broken, and to fix them if they are.

-Rich

OK Rich where do I find Windows Update? I should have just bought a new computer:):)

Thanks

Back