Windows updates

Norman

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
KPTK
Looking for some opinions from the IT folks here. I just read this article https://www.computerworld.com/artic...re-windows-auto-update-is-turned-off.amp.html

and happen to agree with their position given that I've seen Microsoft screws up thing that weren't broke through their updates.

I bought this computer in March and immediately turned off the update option based on my previous experience so it is running as advertised when new and still doing great. I have a decent anti-virus program with a good firewall.

What say the IT professionals here?

Your best protection is to keep security updates up to date. Hackers will reverse engineer a patch after it is released in a matter of hours, now. Any IT professional will tell you to maintain security updates. Functional updates and upgrades is up to you.

I'm not an IT expert by any means but I've always understood what John just said. The one I had a problem with just yesterday is actually a needed security patch. I uninstalled it because it broke my video game. I'm taking a risk. They recommend you disconnect from the internet when you run your game if you aren't going to install that update. And it's a machine I don't do banking on. My banking/work machine I keep as clean and tight as I can.

I have my machines set up to not update automatically, but to check and download but ask me when to install them, then I go through and uncheck any I don't want installed. Usually I install all the recommended security ones and none of the optional ones. But I haven't gone to Windows 10 yet so I don't know if it works the same there.

Back