Windows updates

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Norman, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Norman

Norman En-Route Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    KPTK
    Looking for some opinions from the IT folks here. I just read this article https://www.computerworld.com/artic...re-windows-auto-update-is-turned-off.amp.html

and happen to agree with their position given that I've seen Microsoft screws up thing that weren't broke through their updates.

I bought this computer in March and immediately turned off the update option based on my previous experience so it is running as advertised when new and still doing great. I have a decent anti-virus program with a good firewall.

What say the IT professionals here?

2. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    Your best protection is to keep security updates up to date. Hackers will reverse engineer a patch after it is released in a matter of hours, now. Any IT professional will tell you to maintain security updates. Functional updates and upgrades is up to you.

3. Rushie

Rushie Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    I'm not an IT expert by any means but I've always understood what John just said. The one I had a problem with just yesterday is actually a needed security patch. I uninstalled it because it broke my video game. I'm taking a risk. They recommend you disconnect from the internet when you run your game if you aren't going to install that update. And it's a machine I don't do banking on. My banking/work machine I keep as clean and tight as I can.

I have my machines set up to not update automatically, but to check and download but ask me when to install them, then I go through and uncheck any I don't want installed. Usually I install all the recommended security ones and none of the optional ones. But I haven't gone to Windows 10 yet so I don't know if it works the same there.