Windows recommendations

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
I have an generic cheap laptop with windows 8. It's painfully slow. Any recommendations on a windows version that's a better fit for a cheap book?

Intel celeron 847 CPU 1.1 ghz
4 gb ram
50gig hdd

Thanks guys

A Celeron 847 is always going to be slow. Even with XP.

Sorry to say, but it's not worth keeping unless you're a geek wanting another Linux/Unix machine. Get a new laptop - it won't take more than a few hundred bucks to get something that's night and day better for Windows 10.

I have an generic cheap laptop with windows 8. It's painfully slow. Any recommendations on a windows version that's a better fit for a cheap book?

4 gb ram
50gig hdd

Thanks guys
Any chance you can expand memory to 8 gb....solves many problems and is the cheapest upgrade.
Still a slow and small system but more memory will help if you don't want to spend a few hundred on another system.

I have an old netbook that used to have Win 7 Starter that I put Win 10 on. It now runs better than it did with Win 7 Starter.
I also setup dual boot with Phoenix OS which is Android for PC's. Phoenix OS is extremely fast and is rootable right in the OS and has access to the Google Playstore. At least the version I am currently running.

Sorry to say, but it's not worth keeping unless you're a geek wanting another Linux/Unix machine. Get a new laptop - it won't take more than a few hundred bucks to get something that's night and day better for Windows 10.
I already booted its twin to Linux. This one has to stay windows because of third party software

Trying not to spend to much. This ones sole purpose is talking to my trucks ecm and programming a dual band com radio. It might get used once a year.

I already booted its twin to Linux. This one has to stay windows because of third party software

Trying not to spend to much. This ones sole purpose is talking to my trucks ecm and programming a dual band com radio. It might get used once a year.
Your best shot is Win 10. It it is still too slow, you will be throwing good money after bad to upgrade anything physical on the machine. At that point, bite the bullet and get something a bit newer off of eBay.

A Celeron is the bottom end processor from Intel, they'll be slow no matter what. I'd look for a machine with a Core i3 at least.

4 gb ram
50gig hdd

Thanks guys
Not sure that a Windows 8 system is worth it, but if you can replace the HDD with a SSD you wills see pretty dramatic performance increases (usually).
Better yet, but a new laptop with a SSD in it.

Gotta agree it's a waste of time, and wonder about HDD size... 50GB? If it really has a drive that small, it has to be pretty old. I wonder if it even has a 32-bit version of Windows. If so, all the RAM in the world won't help. SSD would help, but between time and $$$, you're better off getting a low end new system, or a refurb. I often sell scavenged 4 year olds for maybe $150. Look around.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...320GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/50910623
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...-320GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Pro/50910384

Most refurbs from the factory are not refurbished at all. They are brand new, white box, 90 day warrantee. It is just another marketing scheme.

Oh it's old for sure. When I started it up last week it was first boot up since early 2015. Windows update was grumpy for a couple of days. It does have a 50gig hdd. I was willing to do an os update. Not spending money on any hardware.

Windows 7 Pro should be your best choice, I think.

Back