Windows Permissions

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
A couple months ago, I had to reinstall Windows 10. Before that, I had Prepar3D V3 installed, and had an Evektor Sportstar Max model installed and operational.

Today, I tried to reinstall the Sportstar, and it wouldn't install. It said it wouldn't install probably because of permissions. I tried to contact the developer, and my email bounced, as they think it's SPAM.

I found some information about permissions on their web site, so I allowed the administrator full access to the Lockheed Martin folder in the C:/Program Files (x86) folder, but still no joy.

I chose Administrator, as I have to run with administrator privileges to start the installation. I haven't tried "Trusted Installer" but that's next.

I welcome any other ideas.

Download the free version of Tweaking Windows Repair https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html It does a number of checks and repairs on a windows installation including setting permissions to default settings. I have used it to resurrect some computers that were totally hosed by viruses. You should run it in safe mode and it may take several hours to go through all the checks and repairs.

check to see if there's an install log, that may give u more details around the error. probably in the LM folder u mentioned.

A quick update. I ended up formating the C: drive and reinstalling everything. There were other issues besides not being able to install the SportStar flight model on Prepar3D V3 that went away. Somehow, Best Buy screwed up when they reinstalled Windows for me.

After the most recent version of Windows 10 was installed on my computer, FSX:SE would load and run, fine. However, it wouldn't remember settings from one session to the next. I think that's enough circumstantial evidence (along with other issues I've had) to conclude FSX doesn't only use published APIs to interact with the computer.

The biggest problem I have with Prepar3D is instrument dials are tiny, and I haven't been able to enlarge them. However, I found and installed a solution - Remote Flight. A server runs on your PC and broadcasts your airplane's status over a WiFi adapter. The app runs on an iPad or iPhone and displays data on that device. There are a lot of gauges to choose from, but even though I've asked, there are no Rotax nor Light Sport specific tachometers and ASI's. I have a mark on the throttle quadrant, and found a ASI very similar to Light Sport's V-Speeds.

Last edited:
I finally broke down and bought a Saitek Flight Information Panel (FIP). It's pricey for the hardware you get, but it's programmable with a lot of different displays. Saitek provides several displays for the FIP, and Spad.Next, which you need to use the FIP has several more displays.

I have two displays installed. One has 4 engine instruments, the other has a tachometer and flap position indicator. It's targeted toward certified GA planes, but it's usuable with the SportStar. The tach seems to read RPM/2, and the flap position indicator only shows three settings, (plus up) while the SportStar has 4.

This FIP was an excuse to buy another part for my computer. It requires a USB 2.0 port, and all but two of my USB ports are 3.0. The two I have are on the top front of the case, and I didn't want a cable snaking over my desk, so I bought a PCIe to USB2.0 adapter card. It has 3 external, and one internal USB 2.0 ports. It was really easy to instal, and I pluged my TrackIR cable into it, too, hoping its display glitches would go away. They mostly did.

I wish I had installed TrackIR a long time ago. I was scared off by how long it took other people to get it set up. I guess the most recent software made it a lot more user friendly because setup was pretty much a piece of cake. Turning my head to look around is a lot easier and realistic than using the view knob on my yoke, and the view is repeatable.

Back