Windows Messenger question

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
How can I stop the Windows Messenger from autostarting on cold boot? It is not in the startup folder, and the checkbox in WM preferences for auto start is not checked. Yet it starts up...

Running WinXP Pro and Office 2003.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
How can I stop the Windows Messenger from autostarting on cold boot? It is not in the startup folder, and the checkbox in WM preferences for auto start is not checked. Yet it starts up...

Running WinXP Pro and Office 2003.

-Skip

You should be able to find it by going to start>run and typing in msconfig. Click on the startup tab, and look for it there.

Here's one fix for WM: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-300

For Internet Messenger, I believe there is a registry hack to keep it from starting either with start-up or with certain programs. Not listed at annoyances.

BTW, annoyances.org is a worthwhile site for Windows issues.

Thanks. I didn't find anything specific to Messenger, but I did find and disable an Office link. On closing and rebooting, Windows didn't like that. So I restored the Office checkbox and then found the Office startup in the startup menu. This is interesting as none of the Office programs load on startup. This must give Sir Bill of Redmond control over some process or other, so I faced in the direction of Redmond, gave Bill a one-finger salute, and deleted the startup item.

Problem solved. Thanks.

-Skip

I like the visual of you purposely facing in his direction and flipping him the bird. It's really funny in my mind.

SkykingC310 said:
I like the visual of you purposely facing in his direction and flipping him the bird. It's really funny in my mind.

The bird? I often say to fix windows problems, you have to face Redmond and sacrifice a chicken.

mikea said:
The bird? I often say to fix windows problems, you have to face Redmond and sacrifice a chicken.
If you sign the user agreement (special version) that promises the first born child to be sacrificed on an altar created of old keyboards and mice cords, none of these problems occur.

Greebo said:
If you sign the user agreement (special version) that promises the first born child to be sacrificed on an altar created of old keyboards and mice cords, none of these problems occur.

I would LOVE to see a EULA written with that in it!!

N2212R said:
I would LOVE to see a EULA written with that in it!!
But how many of us have the patience to read beyond page 9 or 10 of the typical EULA? :vomit:

Back