Windows Media Player 10

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
I cannot download it - it goes through the whole lengthy process, then at the very end I get the message that it was not able to install correctly and that's that. And about 99% of all the vids I get won't play on the old version, dangit.

How do I get rid of the old version, so I can try installing the new one?

In english, though - I'm a luddite, pretty much. Comes and goes.

Thanks,

Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs

Check that list for any references and remove em, then check in "Add/Remove Windows Components" as well.

Greebo said:
Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
Check that list for any references and remove em, then check in "Add/Remove Windows Components" as well.
I went to add/remove programs and there wasn't any mention for media player. So I went to add/remove windows comps. and started that process - when the window came up to check which components I wanted to remove, I unchecked everything except windows media player, and continued on with the process.

When I rebooted, and tried to launch Outlook Express and IE, nothing happened. I got the Internet Options box, which was fine, but when I clicked ok, it just closed and that was pretty much that.

THANK GOD FOR SYSTEM RESTORE!!!! :eek: :eek:

So, what did I do wrong?

signed,
hopelessly hopeless in cyberspace

etsisk said:
I went to add/remove programs and there wasn't any mention for media player. So I went to add/remove windows comps. and started that process - when the window came up to check which components I wanted to remove, I unchecked everything except windows media player, and continued on with the process....

So, what did I do wrong?

signed,
hopelessly hopeless in cyberspace
Heh...you only UNCHECK what you WANT to remove. Just uncheck Media player and continue the process.

It's not just Remove....it's Add/Remove. If you have it checked, Windows assumes you want it installed. If it's unchecked, Windows uninstalls it if it was there.

YIKES! Sorry about that! Like Brian Said - you only uncheck what you want removed.

In future, when confronted with a window asking you questions in a format with which you are unfamiliar, STOP, come back here, and verify what you're about to do before you do it, k?

/me apologizes again.

Greebo said:
YIKES! Sorry about that! Like Brian Said - you only uncheck what you want removed.

In future, when confronted with a window asking you questions in a format with which you are unfamiliar, STOP, come back here, and verify what you're about to do before you do it, k?
/me apologizes again.
Yessir, Greebo, sir. I promise.

:eek:-> :(-> :dunno:-> :redface: ->:rolleyes:

AAARRGHH!

I did it just like y'all said, it appeared to go ok. But the very last screen said "there was a problem with the installation. windows media player was not installed." DAMMIT!
why won't it take it?

EDIT: Wait - it seems like maybe it did take it after all - I was just able to view a video I had not been able to access... sheesh. I dunno about this stuff . . .

(shakes head sadly)

Well, at least it's working. I think. Maybe.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
Back