windows media f'up....

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Ok, it doesn't work on my pos Dell laptop. I can't download it again, because it thinks it's on there. I can't get rid of it, because for some reason it just won't go :)mad: never saw a program you couldn't freaking delete before!!:mad:)... I can't use it because it won't work.

What other programs will run .wmv files?

I hate my computer. :mad:

Tom, have you tried going to Control Panel, and removing the program (completely) using Add/Remove Programs, *then* reinstalling it?

Also, dish a few more details as to what it is doing / not doing.

edit: Or, get a Mac. It's not like they don't mess up too, but they are substantially more cool when they do.

On my Dell WMP keeps making itself the default DVD player. Drives me crazy, I deselect DVDs as being a format it should play but it then automatically reselect itself as the default. I hate WMP!!!

Ok, it doesn't work on my pos Dell laptop. I can't download it again, because it thinks it's on there. I can't get rid of it, because for some reason it just won't go :)mad: never saw a program you couldn't freaking delete before!!:mad:)... I can't use it because it won't work.

The problem may lie in the "won't work" part. Does it give an error message or what happens?

Also - if you want to just avoid WMP (I would), get VLC. It kicks WMP's ass, and its free, and it usually doesn't require codecs, and its free. and it kick's WMP's ass.

And its cross platform.

And its free.

On my Dell WMP keeps making itself the default DVD player. Drives me crazy, I deselect DVDs as being a format it should play but it then automatically reselect itself as the default. I hate WMP!!!

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Microsoft got sanctioned and fined a few palty $B in the EU for bundling WMP and Internet Explorer.

You gotta understand what's behind this. MS cozied up to the media industry to control PCs and PC users in hopes of becoming the exclusive platform for protected content with the Newspeak-named "Trusted Computing" DRM. They can't let users remove WMP and install non-MS programs willy-nilly to associated to media content to get around that. Them MS DRM is soooo reliable that anybody who went with MS "Plays for Sure" can no longer play anything they bought, even on a Microsoft Zune.

All of us at work are screaming about all of the problems getting Excel 2007 to work now that it has the "ever (un)helpful)" ribbon. I had to keep the Microsoft help page open. The first line of the FAQ is "NO! YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE RIBBON!" You'd think a real customer-focused company might notice that the most frequently asked question might indicate what customers want. The MSFT Department of Productivity Prevention has earned last year's bonus....while they run ads telling us how they enable customers.

Attachments

• Gates_of_Borg.jpg
    Gates_of_Borg.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
All of us at work are screaming about all of the problems getting Excel 2007 to work now that it has the "ever (un)helpful)" ribbon. I had to keep the Microsoft help page open. The first line of the FAQ is "NO! YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE RIBBON!" You'd think a real customer-focused company might notice that the most frequently asked question might indicate what customers want. The MSFT Department of Productivity Prevention has earned last year's bonus....while they run ads telling us how they enable customers.

In all fairness, the ribbon is much better once you understand it. You can't blame Microsoft for a familiarity issue. From the people who I've seen use it that never used Office before, its much easier without prior training.

In all fairness, the ribbon is much better once you understand it. You can't blame Microsoft for a familiarity issue. From the people who I've seen use it that never used Office before, its much easier without prior training.

First of all, they worked for 15 years to become "the standard" so you'd think they might want to not dis the millions of experienced users. It's the typical arrogance that they wouldn't put in an option for "classic menus"

I was told that you can download a custom user-revolt ribbon that has a classic interface.

Been using the ribbon for about a year now. Some things it takes me three clicks to do what took me one or two before. I'm used to it but I don't like it.

They did damage some macros- they used to add a menu item to XL (I generally placed them under tools). Now I need to figure out how to add something to the ribbon so I can access my common programs easily.

All it says is that "internal error occurred" and that's pretty much all there is to it. :(

What's VLC?

I use VLC for almost all my media too. Works well, but there are times I get a lot of pixelation if I move in a video file that I don't get with WMP.

People that never used office before? :eek:

And BOTH of them work in your office? ;) :rofl:

People that never used office before? :eek:

And BOTH of them work in your office? ;) :rofl:
You would have to see my office to believe it, Kent. We had our IT survey results come back, and there was a comment that "email is too impersonal, and its rude to send an email," also that we should set up his hotmail account instead of his network email, as he can't be bothered to remember his new email address (hint, its first initial, last name @ domain.org).

We have people that refuse to use computers because spreadsheeting with a pen/pencil is much more accurate and easy to do.

We have people that will repeatedly ask for the same help over and over again, like "how do I center text in Word again?"

So, the two people left is more like 40 people left, and they're all in my office. lol.

You would have to see my office to believe it, Kent. We had our IT survey results come back, and there was a comment that "email is too impersonal, and its rude to send an email," also that we should set up his hotmail account instead of his network email, as he can't be bothered to remember his new email address (hint, its first initial, last name @ domain.org).

We have people that refuse to use computers because spreadsheeting with a pen/pencil is much more accurate and easy to do.

We have people that will repeatedly ask for the same help over and over again, like "how do I center text in Word again?"

So, the two people left is more like 40 people left, and they're all in my office. lol.

Dilbert, PHB: "I didn't read your email. My secretary didn't print it out yet."

Dilbert: "Why don't we chisel it into a stone tablet?"

Back