Windows Explorer Issue

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
A friend sent me a CD containing a bunch of pictures he took on a recent trip and I uploaded them into a file under "My Pictures" in "My Documents". Since then every time I try and go into My Pictures, I can see all the folders but as soon as I attempt to open any folder containing pictures my windows explorer crashes. I managed to delete the folder I had just created thinking that must be the issue but my problem is persisting.

I'm running Windows XP - Home, with Small Business Office XP.

I tried "repairing" with my Small Business Office XP disc but that didn't fix anything. I don't have any disc just called Windows XP, just the office set. I could try a total re-install from the Office discs but before I do does anyone have any suggestions?

The most common (but not the only) reason for this problem is that the folders, a few of the images, their thumbnails, their metadata, or the "Thumbs.db" files are corrupted. Many times a CHKDSK /F fixes this. Other times selecting the "List" or "Details" view and deleting all the "Thumbs.db" files cures it.

There are many other possible reasons. Registry corruption, for example, can cause all sorts of problems in explorer. But for your particular problem, the above usually is true.

Rich

Last edited:
If you turn off thumbnail view, does it not crash?

Back