Windows 8 launch

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Just watched the live stream. Impressive. Bringing an integrated experience to desktop and tablet computing with a common interface. It will be interesting to see what develops on the aviation app for it.

I disagree. I don't want a touch-screen, big-button experience for a desktop with a mouse.

Making them the same interface is a disaster for all but the crowd that only runs three programs a day, IMHO.

Big button touch-screen for the tablets, something much smaller that allows for much greater utilization of all the screen resolution available (multiple monitors) on modern desktops, would be far far better.

Being a partner we have early access. One of my engineers threw it on an old junky laptop and it is smokin' fast, even on old hardware. No Start button, but pretty quick access to what you need.

I disagree. I don't want a touch-screen, big-button experience for a desktop with a mouse.

Making them the same interface is a disaster for all but the crowd that only runs three programs a day, IMHO.

Big button touch-screen for the tablets, something much smaller that allows for much greater utilization of all the screen resolution available (multiple monitors) on modern desktops, would be far far better.

I agree. I want my desktop computer look and act like a desktop computer, my phone to look and act like a phone, etc.

-Rich

I agree. I want my desktop computer look and act like a desktop computer, my phone to look and act like a phone, etc.

-Rich

It is different, but I could get used to it. You slide mouse to right and hover and you get the search menu, settings, etc. Everything is really just as accessable, just different. There are tiles, but you can toggle between a standard looking desktop and the tile desktop with the Windows key. Like anything else, people hate change, but change is going to happen. The speed is incredible and for me, that will get me to adopt sooner, rather than later.

Win8 gives you the best of both worlds...customize it the way you want. Just watched the Surface launch. I think I"ve purchased my last laptop (and I've bought A LOT of laptops!)

Being a partner we have early access. One of my engineers threw it on an old junky laptop and it is smokin' fast, even on old hardware. No Start button, but pretty quick access to what you need.

Same here...I the first beta on an old Gateway laptop and couldn't believe how fast it was.

It is different, but I could get used to it. You slide mouse to right and hover and you get the search menu, settings, etc. Everything is really just as accessable, just different. There are tiles, but you can toggle between a standard looking desktop and the tile desktop with the Windows key. Like anything else, people hate change, but change is going to happen. The speed is incredible and for me, that will get me to adopt sooner, rather than later.

I agree. The number of improvements is pretty amazing.

WinKey+X (Windows Key-X) helped me out a lot. Thingz are in different places now, but with this menu, I can find most things.

Back