Windows 7 or 10?

I don't buy ANY HP product, since they don't allow aftermarket ink cartridges in their inkjet printers. Plus, the last of their printers I had would not recognize my MacBook Pro.

The last really good thing HP did was the HP-35.................Oh,! and I paid $2000 for a LaserJet III

The biggest difference in "Signature Edition" is that they contain less crapware, save for Microsoft's own. But HP's (and probably most other manufacturers') business-class computers don't include any crapware, either, or at least very little. There was none at all all on the computer I'm using now (HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT), not even a trial antivirus.

Rich
What was your source... For the 4 computers I need to purchase in next 3 weeks for new workers, I'm torn between building my own or getting a pre-built. If pre-built, I dread the bloat and crap aware I gotta offload. But if I can get good machines that don't have this and get them for a decent price....

What was your source... For the 4 computers I need to purchase in next 3 weeks for new workers, I'm torn between building my own or getting a pre-built. If pre-built, I dread the bloat and crap aware I gotta offload. But if I can get good machines that don't have this and get them for a decent price....

I have a business account at Microcenter. The nearest one to me is a drive of about three and a quarter hours to get there and about two and a half hours to get back (which only makes sense if you understand the traffic flow in New York), but it's worth the trip.

HP's site is also divided into sections for consumers and businesses. I usually do my research there but my buying from Microcenter, mainly because I like the store and welcome the excuse to make the trip. It's like a toy store for geeks.

The last three computers I bought were from HP's business line, and they came with little or no crapware. YMMV.

Rich

I don't buy ANY HP product, since they don't allow aftermarket ink cartridges in their inkjet printers. Plus, the last of their printers I had would not recognize my MacBook Pro.

The last really good thing HP did was the HP-35.................Oh,! and I paid $2000 for a LaserJet III

I don't think I've purchased a non-HP printer in upwards of 10 years. My last three computer purchases have also been HPs. I've been happy with all of them -- and all of them are still running. But hey, saus-each his own, as we say in Italian... sort of. I feel the same way about Brother as you do about HP. I'd use a stone and chisel before I'd buy a Brother printer.

There is a definite difference, however, between HP's consumer stuff and their business stuff. I've set up consumer-grade machines for clients, and removing the garbage can take hours. Their consumer-grade printers aren't all that great, either, and the consumer printer software is nightmarish. But I like their business-grade stuff a lot.

Rich

Either one is likely to cause you grief. Windows 10 just did a major update on my desktop last week. A few days later I launched Quickbooks to do some billing and now it crashes on launch. After checking the web there are a bunch of people with the same issue right after this Windows update. The Windows update made something unhappy. I spent the weekend searching the web trying to find a fix. The Microsoft forums blame Intuit. Intuit recommends I spend $200 to update to their newest version. Several people did that and still have the issue. I feel like I end up being a slave to all these devices.

Hmmm....Just ran Quicken and QuickBooks with no problems today on a Win 10 machine.

I don't buy ANY HP product, since they don't allow aftermarket ink cartridges in their inkjet printers.

I am confused, @kgruber - I have several HP consumer printers and all of them accept no-name cartridges and refilled cartridges. I have 2 hp4630's bought in the last 2 years, one right beside me with a "Sophia Global 61XL" in it.

Seven saves sanity for simple souls...

I'm gonna wait it out for a few years.

Seven saves sanity for simple souls...

I'm gonna wait it out for a few years.

End of extended support ends January, 2020.
Support for new hardware may end at any time.

So you'll be fine unless your hardware barfs and you want brand new hardware.

End of extended support ends January, 2020.
Support for new hardware may end at any time.

So you'll be fine unless your hardware barfs and you want brand new hardware.

But I think I can go to the BYOC section of Micro Center and get hardware that will work. Might be somewhat expensive but..........

But I think I can go to the BYOC section of Micro Center and get hardware that will work. Might be somewhat expensive but..........

Maybe, maybe not. But likely. Nobody knows what's up their respective sleeves to make new processors decide they don't want to play anymore, but they directly warn that it'll happen on the support site, which is a big hint that they know Intel and AMD are playing along.

None of them want you to own hardware until it dies anymore. It's a racket.

just tried to load my Flight Simulator x Gold on a new windows 10 system. NOPE!! Whole bunch of errors.

anybody know of a flight sim program thats works on Windows 10?

I would be surprised if X-Plane wouldn't, since they were still coming out with new versions last I heard. The Steam version of Flight Simulator X would be another possibility.

just tried to load my Flight Simulator x Gold on a new windows 10 system. NOPE!! Whole bunch of errors.

FSX works great for me on W10. What are the errors you're getting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm....Just ran Quicken and QuickBooks with no problems today on a Win 10 machine.
I am running (or was) QB 2011. I am curious what version you are running. I may try installing 2011 on my wife's laptop this weekend.

Running QB 2016 Premier on multiple Win10s every day, hoping for the best.

Which release of Win10, what errors, and what's your hardware configuration?

With video-intensive programs like 3D games, problems related to the graphics processor and drivers are the most common causes of problems. Other possible causes, in no particular order, include antivirus issues, inadequate RAM (or inadequate RAM assigned to video in machines with integrated video), conflicts with other programs demanding the same resources, or permissions issues.

Two quick fixes that sometimes work are running the program in compatibility mode for a previous Windows version, or running it "as Administrator." Neither of those work most of the time, but they work some of the time; and when they do, it's an easy fix. Uninstalling the program, rebooting, and reinstalling it "as Administrator" also works once in a while.

I'm not sure why that is because only an administrator should be able to install programs, anyway. But Administrator is an actual user as far as Windows is concerned; and sometime a legacy program will work when The Administrator installs it, but not when an administrator installs it. It's one of those things I have stopped trying to understand.

Rich

Rich thanks for the advice ran I bunch of files in compatibility mode then ran as administrator and it worked.

At least I'm still flying the computer now.

Rich thanks for the advice ran I bunch of files in compatibility mode then ran as administrator and it worked.

At least I'm still flying the computer now.

You're welcome. Glad it worked.

Rich

Back