Windows 11 Pro Activation

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
In February 2020, I purchased a retail license for Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft's web site using my personal Microsoft account. The purchase is listed in my Purchase History when I am logged into my Microsoft account. However, I do not see any license keys or acknowledgment of a digital license anywhere on Microsoft's site.

At the time, I installed and activated Windows 10 Pro on a VM, which has now been deleted (and I don't recall ever deactivating that Windows install.) I've now installed Windows 11 Pro on another VM, and would like to activate it, but the online activation isn't working (says it can't find a digital key). Microsoft support has been shockingly unhelpful, transferring me from one group to another, dropping calls along the way (so I have to start the support ticket process all over again).

What am I missing? Is there a way to locate a license key or digital license based on the retail purchase in my Purchase History on Microsoft's site?

Thanks!

If you are trying to find the key code for software installed on another computer, download the Belarc Advisor. It will display an inventory of all the software installed on that computer including the key codes.

If you are trying to find the key code for software installed on another computer, download the Belarc Advisor. It will display an inventory of all the software installed on that computer including the key codes.

Actually, I'm trying to find how to either get the activation key or digital license from the Windows 10 Pro purchase under my Microsoft account. I can see the purchase in my order history, and show the invoice, but a new Windows 11 Pro install won't activate using my Microsoft account because it says it can't find a valid license. The previous (original) install of Windows 10 Pro did activate, however it was a VM which is now deleted (these are test VMs, not my daily driver or production systems).

I am wondering if I have to install Windows 10 Pro, activate it, and then upgrade to Windows 11 on top of it. I might try that next. Microsoft support leaves much to be desired.

Actually, I'm trying to find how to either get the activation key or digital license from the Windows 10 Pro purchase under my Microsoft account. I can see the purchase in my order history, and show the invoice, but a new Windows 11 Pro install won't activate using my Microsoft account because it says it can't find a valid license. The previous (original) install of Windows 10 Pro did activate, however it was a VM which is now deleted (these are test VMs, not my daily driver or production systems).

I am wondering if I have to install Windows 10 Pro, activate it, and then upgrade to Windows 11 on top of it. I might try that next. Microsoft support leaves much to be desired.
I would try that first

Microsoft support finally got this resolved. They had to generate a new product key. Not sure why the purchase was linked to my account but there were no license keys, and they didn't seem to understand that either, but they were able to fix it since the proof of purchase was there.

Last edited:
Back