Windows 10

One thing that concerns me about Windows 10 is that the automatic updates mean that the next time Microsoft decides to redesign the user interface, their customers will not have the option of remaining with the old one. During the Windows 8 flop, there were company personnel who were expressing a desire to "force" consumers to accept whatever the company wanted to foist on them, and it now looks like they have figured out a way. It looks like a monopolist's dream.
Well, that didn't take long:

Microsoft will make Cortana mandatory in Anniversary Update

So? Siri is mandatory by the Oh Mighty Apple on my iPhone. And I do not use the annoyance.
I assume that's true, but some users my not like this:

"Of course this also requires access to more of your personal information and data."​

Or this:

"removing Google as an option for web searches"​

So? Siri is mandatory by the Oh Mighty Apple on my iPhone. And I do not use the annoyance.

I can disable Siri. And have done so. The new version for Craptana will not permit one to disable - it replaces the search engine (and presumably sends data to MS monster.

So, I went ahead and updated my two remaining Windows machines. It is a pain in the arse. It took far less time to download and install than it did to find and disable as many of the privacy-sucking settings as I could. And you have to do that for each user.

Even with that, i get about 10 popups from my firewall program per day asking permission to access Cortana server, MSN, telemetry servers, etc. with Microsoft. And blocking some of those will block other network access.

Half the time it won't find my NAS box. Restart Windows, and it is discovered. Block certain MS processes and it's not found.

MS pushes you to their apps. Every time I try to open a file that has a (prior) default setting, it asks me if I want to continue with that app or use one of MS apps.

Then there's the whole automatic update issue. Yes, you can defer certain updates in W10Pro, but not all of them.

Bottom line: this is likely to be the last Windows machine I use. It's turned into a bigger pain in the rear than it's worth.

My goodness, have a look at all the new programs, many gb worth - probably 20 programs that come with Win10. Just spent 30 mins uninstalling as many as I could (games and such crapola). Some are UNinstallable! ie "MS Store" surprise, surprise. not.

I still don't get why any person with half a brain in this universe would willingly put WinX on their PC. Exactly for the reasons stated above.
I've tried to use it at work for a while to see if it is as bad as they say and it sure is. It is nothing but hyped-up adware. On top of that, there is no way to put Win7 on a WinX machine, as we found out. Even our IT dpt is stumped. LOL

I answered one of the “no I don’t want it” questions incorrectly and have had windows 10 on my HP laptop for several months.

The mandatory updates slow the startup of my pc.

The pictures through windows office requires more steps to name a series of pictures and wants to put them together with all the pictures I have taken that month and jumbles the order and numbering system.

I seem to get an error message on a web page much sooner if I have a slow connection and tells me I am not connected. I find this very annoying when I am traveling and using my air card to connect with the internet.

It seems to work with my HP460 and HP490 printers.

I keep reminding myself these are the good old days and it is only going to get worse.

Sounds like Microsoft is trying to go the way of Sears, K Mart, J C Penny and a few others.

Been using Windows 10 since the early beta version and have been very happy with it to date.

I still don't get why any person with half a brain in this universe would willingly put WinX on their PC. Exactly for the reasons stated above.
I've tried to use it at work for a while to see if it is as bad as they say and it sure is. It is nothing but hyped-up adware. On top of that, there is no way to put Win7 on a WinX machine, as we found out. Even our IT dpt is stumped. LOL

Well, there is a way, but it required that you clone the hard drive before removing it. Or restore from the last backup. You ARE backing up, aren't you???

That said, yes, it is a PoS. It randomly drops connection to my NAS on the file explorer side and won't reconnect claiming that it can't access the NAS (though I can get in just fine via the web interface). Takes a reboot to fix. And that's better than it was before I added the drive via IP to the permanent network connection list - before that, it wouldn't reconnect on initial boot, but would on a reboot.

And I've discovered that file copy drag/drop is much, much slower than before especially off a DVD. Not going to go into detail, but the whole set-up/ready to copy/calculating process is drastically slower.

Can someone try the Printscreen button on their (win10) computer? Mine has quit working and I see talk about Win10's snipping tool, just wondered if it has disabled the button (would love to get it back, have tried rebooting)

Back