Window Shopping, Right Airplane?

OverTQ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OverTQ
I hope, in a few years time, to be an airplane owner. I'd like to start getting an idea of some of the models that might fit my mission.

There are two missions I want to fill with one plane: a good cross-country commuter for one, and a fun weekend plane for two.

I'd appreciate some suggestions!

For weekend flying:

Tandem seating
is a must, I like being on the centerline and being able to see out both sides. I have a strong preference for low or mid-wing, and good visibility. Might try to get some instruction on formation flying. A taildragger would be fun.

For cross-country commuting:

I'm a sucker for clever engineering and doing a lot with a little. So, I'd prefer something with basic systems and materials that maintains sleek, predictable aerodynamics and good handling. Probably looking for a single-engine, fixed gear airplane, unless the retract mechanism is very light and simple.

Since I'll be commuting, I'd like a little speed (TAS of 140+ preferable) and a low operating cost per mile. A low-drag design, probably a taildragger, with a constant speed prop is probably in order.

For those long flights, I'd really like something with a simple but reliable autopilot.

It's not a requirement, but I'd kind of like a basic IFR panel. Not looking to shoot ILS to minimums every trip or play around with ice, but I wouldn't want to get held up by some benign cloud layers. I'm fine with either glass or steam gauges to achieve this.

I'd like some baggage capacity, maybe enough to fit two airline carry-on size bags. My cross-country will be solo, so I don't mind putting something in the passenger seat.

I'd like the plane to be ergonomic and comfortable to fly. Would prefer throttle that can be used from the armrest. I want something with a stick, I'm not yoking around. A side-stick would be really awesome, but I know that limits my options.

RV-8, RV-4 if bargain shopping.

Don't know much about RVs? Bone up!

I was going to mention one of the RV models. They seem to be very popular and don't have a reputation for being slow.

The aircraft that comes to mind like the previous posters would be an RV-8, it fits most of your wants. It has the tandem seating you want, low wing- good visibility and the speed, with fixed gear (taildragger or tricycle). It would be an awesome weekend and XC aircraft.

Been a day or two since the original post... Mr. Hoeneck must be busy ramping up for spring break....

Yep....he basically said in words...RV8

Thanks for the replies!

RV8 certainly seems suitable. I'm trying to research the differences between that an the RV4, but haven't found a direct comparison. All I've gathered so far is that the RV4 takes longer to build, and the RV8 is bigger. I don't plan to build (yet), so if the primary difference between the RV4 and 8 to a non-builder is size, the RV4 might be the way to go.

I really like the Long-EZ. Seems to me to be a pretty good XC machine if you don't mind a tight tandem cockpit. It's probably not particularly well suited for aerobatics, though.

I also looked at the Sonex Waiex. I really like the simplicity and efficiency, but they're side-by-side seating, and it's not much of an IFR platform.

Still looking, but the RV's seem awesome. I'll do more research on them.

Last edited:
If you're ok with it not being a taildragger, check out Nanchangs, super fun and not too expensive.

Good little write up on em, also this guy sells/fixes/imports them

http://www.flywba.com/id14.html

image.jpg

If I was in the market for your mission (minus tailwheel) I would for sure test fly one of these guys and likely get one over a RV. Through in a Dynon SkyView and that would be one AWSOME plane for about the same money.

Back