Window Shopping in the bargain basement

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I'm just dreaming again, not buying anytime soon. My wife decided we wanted a second car more, so the dream is still on hold.

http://www.aso.com/aircraft/88944

In the meantime, a Beech A23-19 like this would do well for us I think, especially for $26K. Nice, big, roomy, comfortable planes, fun to fly from what I'm told. They certainly aren't fast, but there are very few places we need to be in a hurry to be honest. They aren't short field machines with a load, but I've got plenty of runway available to me, and can make that compromise. Speaking of load, that's the weakest point of this plane for me, but it's still doable. 712 pounds is enough to carry me, Cathy, Sean, a weekend bag the way we pack, and still have 34 gallons of fuel. 34 gallons is enough behind an O-320 for at least 2.5 hrs plus a good VFR reserve.

The plane has one decent comm radio and one decent nav, and the Genav nav/comm may or may not be worth keeping in the plane. I think I would probably dump the boat anchor ADF and scrounge the extra couple pounds of useful. Cosmetically, the plane is adequate. I could see going this route and dealing with the lack of useful load. Four (three) seats beats the two in a 150/152 for us, and they cost about the same.

Joe,

Pretty airplane. You are right, it looks affordable and I'd select the little Beech way before a 152.

Jim

That's a nice looking airplane. I like the Beech Sierra/Musketeer/Sundowner line. If I was shopping for one, though, I'd be holding out for the two door version.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
That's a heck of a price for a 170! That would be a cool plane.

Yup, Birmingham is probably less than 2 skyhawk hours away from here, I'm half tempted to call. Too bad I'm not really ready to buy. Looks like servicable radios, too.

Ken Ibold said:
No doubt the price is hurt by the missing logbooks!

:p

True, but logs from '57 on are there. As TD has said before, would you pass up a good classic plane because of missing logs?

How good this plane is, who knows. If I were really interested I'd have a known good 170 guy annual the puppy.

Still, seems like a pretty cheap way to get into a taildragger family hauler. Add/update the radios and such as you have the $$$'s.

Takeoff and landing in those taildraggers is FUN!

Bill Jennings said:
True, but logs from '57 on are there.
Yeah, that was a tongue in cheek remark, but there isn't an appropriate smilie for that.

Get to work on that, will you, Chuck?

Ken Ibold said:
Yeah, that was a tongue in cheek remark, but there isn't an appropriate smilie for that.

Get to work on that, will you, Chuck?
I can think of a few...

:rolleyes: :no: :p :rofl: :cool: come to mind. :)

Wait no, that's for my response to you. :rofl:

Joe - I'm not knocking the tail dragger. If you are seriously considering it, you might want to compare the insurance costs between the two. You'd also have to factor in a tail dragger endorsement. Good luck with your decision making.

Jim

Joe Williams said:
... In the meantime, a Beech A23-19 like this would do well for us I think, especially for $26K. ...

So when you are looking at these so called "bargain basement planes", there has to be different issues in purchasing compared to a late model plane. I have never been an owner and I am fairly new to GA so I have been looking mainly at late model aircraft. However, it seems like there could be some advantages to going this route (inexpensive, older model). Mainly, it would be a chance to test the waters of ownership before plunging into something really expensive that may not even fit my needs several hundred hours down the road. I know there is probably not a simple answer, but in general what would be the key things that you would look for on a 20+ year old plane? :confused:

Dan

dcroce said:
So when you are looking at these so called "bargain basement planes", there has to be different issues in purchasing compared to a late model plane. I have never been an owner and I am fairly new to GA so I have been looking mainly at late model aircraft. However, it seems like there could be some advantages to going this route (inexpensive, older model). Mainly, it would be a chance to test the waters of ownership before plunging into something really expensive that may not even fit my needs several hundred hours down the road. I know there is probably not a simple answer, but in general what would be the key things that you would look for on a 20+ year old plane? :confused:

Dan

You won't find cheapo 20 y/o planes worth getting into, probably. More like 40 year old. My biggest concern about these planes is that they could end up being mx hogs, cheap to buy, impossible to fly.

Back