Window replacement on SuperCub. How many hours?

blevine

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
blevine
A friend of mine received a quote of a minimum of 34 labor hours to replace all windows in his SuperCub. He was thinking 34 hours might be high?

Any thoughts on the above?

Thank you!

Could be high but then again could be low. There are just too many variables to accurately guess how long (such as how well the new windows fit) What the mechanic is doing is quoting how much money he wants to get to do the job then dividing it by his hourly rate to come up with the arbitrary number 34 because for some reason customers always want to know exactly how many hours you're going to take to do a job.

Not necessarily. Many shops use software programs to record labor hours by line-item. These records are easily accessible and can provide the shop with good information for use in future estimates or bids. Based on the review of numerous logs over the past few years, Ebis appears to be the most-used program of this kind.

Could be high but then again could be low. There are just too many variables to accurately guess how long (such as how well the new windows fit) What the mechanic is doing is quoting how much money he wants to get to do the job then dividing it by his hourly rate to come up with the arbitrary number 34 because for some reason customers always want to know exactly how many hours you're going to take to do a job.

A friend of mine received a quote of a minimum of 34 labor hours to replace all windows in his SuperCub. He was thinking 34 hours might be high?

Thank you!

Welcome to POA... Since this is your first post you are required to buy the next round of beers and pizza..:wink2::lol:

Thank you!

All the windows? 34 man hours is probably less than it will actually take. Ive never done them on a Cub, but in general windows are a real PITA and require fitting and care when installing. Sometimes they go in slick as can be, but it's rare.

Not necessarily. Many shops use software programs to record labor hours by line-item. These records are easily accessible and can provide the shop with good information for use in future estimates or bids. Based on the review of numerous logs over the past few years, Ebis appears to be the most-used program of this kind.

I know but - replacing all of the windows in a Cub - it's not like, "oh, yeah we did that half a dozen times last year" Nor is it likely that, having done it half a dozen times, they all came out within an hour or two of each other. I've done my fair share over the past 30 years and I can say from experience that each time was a unique adventure of it's own making.

You just bid a competitive price and hope you make out on it. If you don't really want to do the job just bid high.

Understood, but the records from replacing any windows or similar repair/replacement work in an older fabric-covered airplane can provide the shop with information they might not otherwise have at hand or have forgotten. In addition, the software can pinpoint the tech that did the work, enabling the guy preparing the bid to compare notes with another knowledgeable source. It's obviously not a perfect system or a cookie-cutter job, but having the information and shop notes at hand is a significant advantage to head-scratching and staring at the ceiling while trying to remember.

I know but - replacing all of the windows in a Cub - it's not like, "oh, yeah we did that half a dozen times last year" Nor is it likely that, having done it half a dozen times, they all came out within an hour or two of each other. I've done my fair share over the past 30 years and I can say from experience that each time was a unique adventure of it's own making.

You just bid a competitive price and hope you make out on it. If you don't really want to do the job just bid high.

Thanks for the responses. My friend was thinking 20 hours max. I thought I would post since I recommended the shop to him (since they are also my shop) and they are doing a new engine R & R and some other mods on the cub.

I'll pass along the recommendation to call Cubcrafters.

(Ben, appears my first post comes with a price... Newcastle ok....I'll need to know what kind of pizza :)).

Thanks for the responses. My friend was thinking 20 hours max. I thought I would post since I recommended the shop to him (since they are also my shop) and they are doing a new engine R & R and some other mods on the cub.

I'll pass along the recommendation to call Cubcrafters.

(Ben, appears my first post comes with a price... Newcastle ok....I'll need to know what kind of pizza :)).

Hypothetically speaking, lets say Yakima WA was 650 miles from where the airplane is now. Lets also say it does about 100 KTS and burns about 10 GPH. There and back, you are looking at at least $800 to $900 in fuel to save maybe 10 hours (possibly) in labor. Then add in the beer and pizza and you are over $1,000.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say Yakima WA was 650 miles from where the airplane is now.
Yakima WA is 650 miles from every where :)

ever been there ?

Hypothetically speaking, lets say Yakima WA was 650 miles from where the airplane is now. Lets also say it does about 100 KTS and burns about 10 GPH. There and back, you are looking at at least $800 to $900 in fuel to save maybe 10 hours (possibly) in labor. Then add in the beer and pizza and you are over $1,000.

John, ...but this cub is likely to be visiting WA frequently (occasionally parked at Oak Harbor), so coming to WA for plexiglass could likely happen.

John, ...but this cub is likely to be visiting WA frequently (occasionally parked at Oak Harbor), so coming to WA for plexiglass could likely happen.

....and that would leave the $1000.00 for beer and pizza!!!

Well .. If you are in the neighborhood :) Mr Super cub lives here.

Give us a holler when you are here.

Well .. If you are in the neighborhood :) Mr Super cub lives here.

Give us a holler when you are here.

Will do! In fact, we might be at Oak Harbor for a night or two on/after Nov. 1st. Look for a PC12 or a Beaver on floats....and that will be us.

Bob L.

Will do! In fact, we might be at Oak Harbor for a night or two on/after Nov. 1st. Look for a PC12 or a Beaver on floats....and that will be us.

Bob L.

I believe you already know Mr. Super Cub, he is the Height challenged individual you picked up here and took to AWO to inspect Duane's cub.

Has Steve got his PA-18 down from Ak yet.

We know a lot of the same flyers.

Back