Wind T Construction

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
http://greencastle-aero.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-airport-wind-t-for-green-castle.html

the clubs old wind tee was made out of floor trusses about 30 years ago. it was covered with tin or steel sheet metal, but was starting to sag severely, mostlye because the top of the main beam was completely rotten.

Ric gave me the great idea in flashchat one night to build a new one out of PVC. So i forwarded it on to the club and thats what came out of it. We considered using 8 inch PVC but that stuff is 1)hard to find and 2)expensive. so we went with 6 inch PVC which was a little more reasonable. capped everything off to keep the water and animals out. the Rudder was made of 3/8" plywood.

I didnt do much with the actual construction. I think Pete used some sort of metal strapping along with screws to hold the three pieces together. That insulating expansion foam was used to seal the side pieces while caps were used for the center and the T pieces. Cut a hole at the CG for the light pole to go up through. we plan to mount it back out by the runway on Saturday. Heres some pictures of the old T and the deconstruction process starring yours truly: http://greencastle-aero.blogspot.com/2007/11/wind-tee-tear-down.html

cutting it up with the sawzall was a lot more fun than putting the new one together.

OBTW the new one probably weighs about 50 lbs (at least) less than the old one. hopefully it will last a long time too.

I'm disappointed, Tony. No helicopters. No cranes. No welding. No concrete. No fire. You really let me down. tsk tsk

Please tell me there was at least a sacrificial tater gun firing demonstration in honor of the new wind-tee!!??

yea i think one of the guys has a PVC air cannon. perhaps we can inagurate service this saturday with a seven spud salute.

put the T back out on the stand today. it was painted with some sort of phosphorescent glow in the dark orange spray paint. shows up really nicely at night, especially now that the light above it is working!

DSC02099.JPG

how so matt? all i did was help destruct the old wind t and then lifted the new one in place. oh and i stole the idea from Ric. is this the part where i take all the credit? :dunno:

First try to see if you can make the real contributors look bad, and then take the credit while asking for a pay increase. If you can pull that off, you're ready for prime time.

Matthew

First try to see if you can make the real contributors look bad, and then take the credit while asking for a pay increase. If you can pull that off, you're ready for prime time.

Matthew

sounds easy!

Back