Wind is bad! (NA)

There aren't any big mountains here in Wisconsin, but just west of Madison, there is an area that wasn't flattened by the glaciers, with lots of masty steep short rollers. It's fun to go out that way, but you get your butt kicked pretty good on those hills.

Yeah, the ride from MSN to PDC via backroads on either side of 14 gets ya workin' quite a bit.

Especially when you're 10 years old. :D

Ok, so I've rode in on average 4 days a week for the last 3 out of 4 weeks (4th week I was in Vero and took aprox 1 1/2 mile walk on the beach at night). And I just wanted to say... my butt hurts. :( I think it's starting to get easier but then I found a flater route for days I just don't feel like climbing the hills.

Missa

Ok, so I've rode in on average 4 days a week for the last 3 out of 4 weeks (4th week I was in Vero and took aprox 1 1/2 mile walk on the beach at night). And I just wanted to say... my butt hurts. :( I think it's starting to get easier but then I found a flater route for days I just don't feel like climbing the hills.

Missa

It takes a while to build up your "base", sometimes up to two months your first time out. Keep plugging, keep pushing, no matter how hard it hurts - it can always hurt more. :yes:

Good luck! You're on the road to a blast on two wheels. I ride because it is fun and I enjoy the suffering, the health benefits are fringe only.

Cheers,

-Andrwe

It takes a while to build up your "base", sometimes up to two months your first time out. Keep plugging, keep pushing, no matter how hard it hurts - it can always hurt more. :yes:

Good luck! You're on the road to a blast on two wheels. I ride because it is fun and I enjoy the suffering, the health benefits are fringe only.

Cheers,

-Andrwe

I just hope my "base" comes in before the really hot weather does. I want to be able to make it to work with a minimal amount of sweat. Home is a different story. One this I've always like about working out is the good hurt when you've been at it a while... I've not gotten to the good hurt yet. ;)

Missa

Missa, you might also consider a new seat - there are seats out there with the middle of the seat cut out, which reduces the possible pressure points by at least half. I've got one of 'em and really like it.

Now if I could only get my back to quit trying to go out on me ... scared to get on the bike - don't want to be 7 miles from the house with my back in spasm! :(

Funny this thread came back up. I got sick, and didn't ride since May 7. Tuesday I did 6 miles. Wednesday I did 7 miles or so, and then last night I ended up doing 22.5 miles. Felt good. Butt is only a tad sore, and the rest of my body has no issues.

glad you can still walk ed.

is anybody here riding RAGBRAI?? I sure the heck aint, but Ill meet you at an overnight and drink beer!

Tony, I have some friends doing it this year. I may join them for an overnight stop. It is one hell of a fun ride though, and I cannot think of any other way that you can ride 400+ miles in a week and still gain weight (beer and pie). Heck we should set up the POA RAGBRAI team for next year :)

Pete

Missa, you might also consider a new seat - there are seats out there with the middle of the seat cut out, which reduces the possible pressure points by at least half. I've got one of 'em and really like it.

Now if I could only get my back to quit trying to go out on me ... scared to get on the bike - don't want to be 7 miles from the house with my back in spasm! :(

I have a nice seat but not the top of the line "female specific cut out" kind. However thats not the part of my butt that hurts. The part that hurts is the dig way down to climb the big hill glute part.

Missa

I have a nice seat but not the top of the line "female specific cut out" kind. However thats not the part of my butt that hurts. The part that hurts is the dig way down to climb the big hill glute part.

Missa

I just use the granny gear. I try and keep my legs moving at the same speed as when I am in top gear.

the 206 idea has merit, but isn't it more traditional to use an old beat up school bus for that purpose? I remember seeing some pretty fancy support busses on RAGBRAI. My favorite was the Team Dawg bus with a spiral staircase to get to the upper level.

Pete

Attachments

• bus1.jpg
    bus1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3
  • bus2.jpg
    bus2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
yea old school busses seem to be the norm. i may be able to find some old beaters laying around :)

I just use the granny gear. I try and keep my legs moving at the same speed as when I am in top gear.

I've been running out of gears. I still haven't gotten my front derailer fixed. I can't get it into the smallest gear so I only have the top 12 gears. It's a sad sight seeing me in the lowerst gear huffing and puffing my heart out up hill as the guy walking the winner dog passes me. :rofl:

Missa

I always knew there was something weird about you and your family. LOL

My kingdom for a good bike wrench!!!

I just got my road bike back from the shop. I usually do not let them touch it because they tend to do stuff that is counter intuitive, like moving my seat and loosing brakes! But I was short on time and needed some new cables and it was new chain time, so I brought it in to a place I have been doing business with for a couple of years.

I have had bad luck with a lot of bike places. The mechanics just are not trained worth a damn. A few years ago I brought in my wife's bike that we were upgrading to have them put on a new bottom bracket and crank. The shop installed the bottom bracket and then only loosely put on the crank. It all looked good but when she went to ride it the crank slipped off of the bottom bracket and she crashed. The crank was ruined and the splines were stripped at the edges.

The bike shopped owned up to it but their mechanic didn't. He actually started screaming at me in the shop that I was lying to make him look bad. It got real ugly and I demanded his firing. I have never been back there either.

I did get the new crank but I decided I would do all the work myself. I should also add that I have brought bikes in for tune ups and when I went to pick them up the chain was a mess, still dirty. When I ask why the chain was not cleaned they said it was not part of the tune up. WTF! Tune up should include the whole drive train being cleaned, inspected, and lubed along with the wheels being trued and all cables adjusted.

Any way back to my story. So I drop off the bike for the tune up, new cables, BTW I put on the Aztec ones if anyone is interested in them, new chain, and new brake shoes. I get the bike back and the darn rear derailer does not stay in gear, nor does the front one. They never realigned the derailers after the cable install!!

This was not an isolated event either as Karen's road bike had the same work done in it and it too was not aligned. This is not cable stretch, the Aztec cables are designed for very limited stretch and there is no was a cable stretches by an inch in a week of just sitting there. I had to do both bikes! Plus my bike had NO LUBE anywhere and there were squeaks!

$435 for this and I ended up doing most of the work. There is a really good bike mechanic in Highland Park but he is so busy with the pro-teams you just can't get your stuff in. I have been learning how to do all of this stuff and it is not hard, you just have to pay attention and have the tools.

I do most of the wrenching myself. Although I think I'm gonna have one of the local campy pro shops here in Madison do a tune up this year before heading out to CO. I'm guessing the highland park shop you are referring to must be Alberto's, or Higher Gear. I've never used either of them, but I'd probably trust both from the dealings I had with them in the past.

Pete

I do most of the wrenching myself. Although I think I'm gonna have one of the local campy pro shops here in Madison do a tune up this year before heading out to CO. I'm guessing the highland park shop you are referring to must be Alberto's, or Higher Gear. I've never used either of them, but I'd probably trust both from the dealings I had with them in the past.

Pete

Yep, to Higher Gear. I figure if one of the former members of Us Postal has his personal bike worked on there it is a good endorsement. Also one of friends swears by them. They built her custom bike, once when it was new and again after an accident.

To bring this thread back to an aviation related theme....

I rode my fixie to the airport yestarday to do some patternwork. Since I only needed a set of charts and my headphones I decided to ride. on my way there it occurred to me that in my 13 years of flying planes I had never done this. Either I was lugging way too much crap in my flight bag (really needs to be cleaned out) ot I had to go way too far on crappy roads to get to the airport.

Anyway have any of you tried to bike to the airport?

Pete

Anyway have any of you tried to bike to the airport?

19 miles one way to the airport, and HILLY. Too far for me at this point.

I only did 10 miles yesterday but it was all hills. Mostly loooooooong climbs. Legs were burning after 8 miles. Luckily I planned it so I had the big descent (what goes up must come down) last and got up over 50mph before one last small climb to get home.

Hey Ed, are there any good MTB trail up by 6Y9? The MTB fits quite nicely in the back seat of N271G.

Pete

Attachments

• DCP_2091.JPG
    DCP_2091.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 6
Hey Ed, are there any good MTB trail up by 6Y9? The MTB fits quite nicely in the back seat of N271G.

Pete

Any of the ATV trails/logging roads could double at a MTB trail.

Who says I'm gonna let you take my plane? :p ;)

Actually, even tho I have it reserved, if I somehow manage to get my TW endorsement by then I'll be taking the Citabria out of RYV so if I can do that you can bring 271G. :yes:

Any of the ATV trails/logging roads could double at a MTB trail.

I hear there are some local hooligans around there that blast around on ATVs pretty fast on those trails. No way in hell I'd wanna go through them on a bike. :)

Back