Wind is bad! (NA)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
So I just started biking (cycling) a couple weeks ago to try and get this dilapidated 1974 model back into working shape. I'm doing about a 6-7 mile loop that runs SE/NW (more like a tear drop and FAC combined) to start with, relatively flat terrain, and and just going to keep riding that until it's like walking to the fridge, and then pick up the pace until it's like walking back from the fridge, then increase the distances. The days I had been riding were mostly no wind days and has been taking a bit over 20 minutes to do it, other than the first day. The first day I thought I was going to die less than 1/2 way through the loop. So I've been at about an 18-20mph pace. Today at lunch the wind was out of the SE, and I smoked the first 1/2 of the ride in about 6 minutes. Took 20+ to get back. I won't complain about headwinds in an airplane again.

I feel ya! I started riding to and from work. Unfortunatly to stay outta the less desirable negiborhood I have to go up some nice hills. They look like they should be easy but they haven't gotten that way yet. Today I walked a block. When does it get easier???? It takes me 20min each way. I made it twice last week and I'm aiming for at least three this week. : )

There are bad places in Williamsport?

Evidently a few years back someone had the "good" idea of setting up some halfway houses in Williamsport to give the people a chance to startover in a cleaner enviorment. Well some did... and some just brought Phillys problems to Williamsport.

Missa

Ahh, the mighty headwind. Turned N on Rt 122 yesterday morning at the mid-mark of our 25 mile easy Sunday loop. It had been an easy ride up until that point, when about 1.5 miles before hand someone decided it was time to make our recovery ride a hammer fest (i.e., you are hammering on the gears)

Down the hill to the turn at 35mph, 4 in trail, make the turn north, and WHOOMP that 15mph breeze hits us straight on. Turned a fun hammer fest into a hard-nosed battle. For every stroke, it feels like the life is being sapped from your legs...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yeah that wind sucked this past weekend. I did my first Duathlon (Tri without the swimming), and we had 20G25 for the race. Thankfully most of the course was just a crosswind though. The downwind portion was a blast though.

Pete

The biggest problem with head winds and cycling is that they always tend to occur on the climb and on the decent for that matter. You know as I think about it even on the flats.

;)

I did have a nice tailwind once on a down hill. I up shifted to my 53x11 gear and peddled like mad. When I hit 42 mph I got scared. That is freaking fast on a bike!!!

Ed what are you riding?

So I just started biking (cycling) a couple weeks ago to try and get this dilapidated 1974 model back into working shape. I'm doing about a 6-7 mile loop that runs SE/NW (more like a tear drop and FAC combined) to start with, relatively flat terrain, and and just going to keep riding that until it's like walking to the fridge, and then pick up the pace until it's like walking back from the fridge, then increase the distances. The days I had been riding were mostly no wind days and has been taking a bit over 20 minutes to do it, other than the first day. The first day I thought I was going to die less than 1/2 way through the loop. So I've been at about an 18-20mph pace. Today at lunch the wind was out of the SE, and I smoked the first 1/2 of the ride in about 6 minutes. Took 20+ to get back. I won't complain about headwinds in an airplane again.

Is this with an eye to that bachelor pilot thing?:rofl:

Well Ed , i've been Cycling for about 2 years, 1 suggestion is your riding to fast for starting Speed should be around 13 MPH thats what they call C Class, 18 -20 MPH is for A+ riders, slow down you'll enjoy it more.
Dave G

Well Ed , i've been Cycling for about 2 years, 1 suggestion is your riding to fast for starting Speed should be around 13 MPH thats what they call C Class, 18 -20 MPH is for A+ riders, slow down you'll enjoy it more.
Dave G

Well I'm not sore the next day so I must not be pushing too hard.

I did have a nice tailwind once on a down hill. I up shifted to my 53x11 gear and peddled like mad. When I hit 42 mph I got scared. That is freaking fast on a bike!!!

I'll take a pic of my cyclometer when I get home - max speed for this season is 59.9. Last year was 68.6.

Cheers,

-Andrew

When I did Ride the Rockies 3 years ago we went over loveland pass on the last day. Since there is no frontage road for a small strech of the road into Idaho Springs CO we were riding on the shoulder of I70 :hairraise: . that was about the fastest I ever went on my bike, but unfortunately my bike computer was broken. Must have been in the mid 40s though.

Doing the ride again this year. Anyone else out there doing a big bike ride this year (RTR, RAGBRAI, etc)?

Pete

RAGBRAI is out this year. My big ride this year will be the Pan Mass Challenge (see signature)

Next year, however, I am aiming to do the BMB Randonnee - Boston - Montreal - Boston, 750 miles in about 100 hours. I would be happy with an time between 70 and 90 hours.

Cheers,

-Andrew

RAGBRAI is out this year. My big ride this year will be the Pan Mass Challenge (see signature)

Next year, however, I am aiming to do the BMB Randonnee - Boston - Montreal - Boston, 750 miles in about 100 hours. I would be happy with an time between 70 and 90 hours.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hum, trying to bike to & from work every non-rainy day just doesn't seem to compare. :( Oh well, baby steps.... it's still a good thing.

Missa

Hum, trying to bike to & from work every non-rainy day just doesn't seem to compare. :( Oh well, baby steps.... it's still a good thing.

Missa

No, it totally compares. Just like rock climbing and mountaineering, it is about the cyclists level and what they do at that level - not how they compare universally. You are making an amazing step - shedding the coffin and going pedal power. :cheerswine:

Someday, you'll may be doing long distance rides, or just opting for some cruising here or there. It doesn't matter what or how, just as long as you do it! :yes:

Cheers,

-Andrew

No, it totally compares. Just like rock climbing and mountaineering, it is about the cyclists level and what they do at that level - not how they compare universally. You are making an amazing step - shedding the coffin and going pedal power. :cheerswine:

Someday, you'll may be doing long distance rides, or just opting for some cruising here or there. It doesn't matter what or how, just as long as you do it! :yes:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yea... well that little uphill on Hawthone street that keeps making me stop to catch my breath on the way to work is really embarassing. Yesterday I walked part of it, but today I rode all the way up but stopped in the middle (granted I got the bike to shift down today so that helped, I need to get it looked at as I wasn't able to go to the smallest gear on the fount yesterday). MI was a lot flatter then PA, ugh. I know it will not be long till I get back into it and will be looking for a harder route home from work (got to keep the ride in easy as there are no showers at work) but for now little steps. It's what I tell myself every day as I imagne what the dog walkers are thinking of the spectical.

Missa

Yea... well that little uphill on Hawthone street that keeps making me stop to catch my breath on the way to work is really embarassing. Yesterday I walked part of it, but today I rode all the way up but stopped in the middle (granted I got the bike to shift down today so that helped, I need to get it looked at as I wasn't able to go to the smallest gear on the fount yesterday). MI was a lot flatter then PA, ugh. I know it will not be long till I get back into it and will be looking for a harder route home from work (got to keep the ride in easy as there are no showers at work) but for now little steps. It's what I tell myself every day as I imagne what the dog walkers are thinking of the spectical.

Missa

See? That's progress! It won't be long until you are dropping the hammer at the hill. Most people see challenge and walk away. You keep at it, which is the absolute most important part. That seperates you from 99.9% of all other people.

Here's a funny story...

I drove through my old childhood neighborhood recently. When I was a kid, Vinal Street, which was one block over from our house, had the nastiest, steepest hill around on it. I couldn't get up it and would frequently crash at freakishly high speeds going down it. In my mind, it was the largest hill in the world and nothing could top it. I actually thought to myself, as a rational adult, that the hill had to be at least a mile long and 500' in elevation gain.

So, anyways, here I am, driving through the neighborhood again - and I see it. It's about 1/3rd of a mile long and about 80' in elevation gain, two downshifts and on the hoods I could drop it. But in my memory, and my childhood, that hill is a monster that I only topped out once (probably one of the prouder memories of my childhood).

Moral of the story: Every hill is huge until you can ice it. Then it's just another hill on the long ride of life...

Cheers,

-Andrew

So, anyways, here I am, driving through the neighborhood again - and I see it. It's about 1/3rd of a mile long and about 80' in elevation gain, two downshifts and on the hoods I could drop it. But in my memory, and my childhood, that hill is a monster that I only topped out once (probably one of the prouder memories of my childhood).

LOL! My hill isn't even that big! I know I'll lick it one day, the goal is to have it licked well enough that come summer I won't be sweating buckets getting up it to work... if that happens I may have to stop riding unless they install showers. :D

There is a much hiller longer route I can take and so if I get good enough that the current route is a breaze then I can take the longer route home for a challenge. Sigh, one day....

Missa

Missa, if you're having trouble shifting:
1. yeah, get the bike tuned up
2. start shifting earlier on the hill - shift BEFORE it becomes hard to pedal. I'll shift as soon as I can't maintain the cadence - the pedalling slows a bit, I shift.
3. You likely won't be able to use EVERY gear on the bike - for example, if the chain is on the biggest gear in front, it won't like being on the biggest gear in the back because the angle is too great. When it's on the biggest gear on the front, it LOVES the smallest gear in the back, 'cause it's a straight line. If it's on the smallest gear in the front, it won't like the smallest gear in the back.

HTH - I'm sure you know this stuff, but in case you didn't ... ;)

Heh, thanks, Bill - you know, it didn't even OCCUR to me that it might NOT be a triple-chainring bike!! :redface:

Especially on a triple chainring bike...

Showing ignoance => What's a triple chainring bike?

My bike is a 18 speed (or maybe 21, guess I need to count the back sprocket) Specilized Hard Rock Mountian bike. I don't go fast, but I get there. However, I am constantly over running my top gear on the down hills... but really I don't need to be going any faster, so why would I want to pedal?

I know I can't get all the gears and it's easire to shift early but when I'm on the second gear on the fount I & middle on the back, I should be able to get to the lower one on the front... it just keep clacking untill I shift back. Sometimes I goes down but it's been rare.

Missa

Sounds like you have a triple (3 sprockets up front). the problem you got sounds like the front derailleur isn't quite adjusted right. Depending on the setup there should be an adjusting screw to compensate for cable stretch. If you don't feel comfortable monkeying around with it, take it to your local bike shop. They can do a simple drive train tune up in no time.

Pete

My bike is a 18 speed (or maybe 21, guess I need to count the back sprocket) Specilized Hard Rock Mountian bike. I don't go fast, but I get there. However, I am constantly over running my top gear on the down hills... but really I don't need to be going any faster, so why would I want to pedal?
Pete answered the chain-ring thing - three sprockets in front.

When you're dragging yerself up that hill, you can always comfort yourself with the awareness that if you had a ROADbike, you'd be just flying on up that thing, not having to drag that heavy old mtn bike behind ya!

(that's what I'd be telling myself, anyway!! :D)

Showing ignoance => What's a triple chainring bike?

I know I can't get all the gears and it's easire to shift early but when I'm on the second gear on the fount I & middle on the back, I should be able to get to the lower one on the front... it just keep clacking untill I shift back. Sometimes I goes down but it's been rare.

Missa

Triple chainring = 3 rings up front, on the crank.

On a triple chainring mountain bike (which you are riding), the shifting is low-index, meaning that the front derailuer doesn't have to move very far for each shift. (In fact, I think it moves about a half inch laterally and about 1/4 inch vertically on most MTBs).

On a triple chainring road bike, the shifting is almost always high-index, meaning the derailuer has to move REALLY FAR for one or two gears. On my triple chainring Specialized Allez Elite, it actually takes two clicks to get in and out of the smallest front ring, whereas it only takes one to travel between the two bigger rings. This is because of the wide gear span - I have a 50, 44, and 34 tooth rings - the derailuer has to move that much more to get the chain where you want it to go.

On most mountain bikes, you have a 40t, 36t, and 30t spread. On my road bike, you have a 13t spread, versus a 10t spread, with no real big jump between the gears, versus a 10t jump between middle and small rings.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Pete answered the chain-ring thing - three sprockets in front.

When you're dragging yerself up that hill, you can always comfort yourself with the awareness that if you had a ROADbike, you'd be just flying on up that thing, not having to drag that heavy old mtn bike behind ya!

The road bike just prolongs the pain... there are hills that I would turn around from on my mtb that I say "Oh yeah, I can do that!!" on my road rigs.

I was going to do the Mt Greylock Century this year - they cancelled it for construction on the Greylock road - which is just under 11k of climbing for the day. It's a blast to do but boy does it hurt.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I was going to do this ride this year http://www.horriblyhilly.com , but decided that Ride the Rockies was a much more sane thing to do. There aren't any big mountains here in Wisconsin, but just west of Madison, there is an area that wasn't flattened by the glaciers, with lots of masty steep short rollers. It's fun to go out that way, but you get your butt kicked pretty good on those hills.

Pete

Sounds like you have a triple (3 sprockets up front). the problem you got sounds like the front derailleur isn't quite adjusted right. Depending on the setup there should be an adjusting screw to compensate for cable stretch. If you don't feel comfortable monkeying around with it, take it to your local bike shop. They can do a simple drive train tune up in no time.

Pete

Triple chainring => what a unintuitive term for 3 gears at the pedals.

Yea, I'm sure it could use an adjustment. I've been stoping by a freinds house on the way home who is a big bike geek and has all the tools so he can adjust it... but he hasn't been home when I'm passing by.

Missa

LOL, well I bought the MTB when I graduated HS and it's still in good shape so I'm not intrested in trading it in anytime soon + there is a really cool rail trail that I like to ride because it's so prity, but there is no way it could be done on a roadbike... loose gravel. I'm happy with my cluncky old mountian bike. Plus it's just added resistance that will get me in shape faster. :D

Missa

LOL, well I bought the MTB when I graduated HS and it's still in good shape so I'm not intrested in trading it in anytime soon + there is a really cool rail trail that I like to ride because it's so prity, but there is no way it could be done on a roadbike... loose gravel. I'm happy with my cluncky old mountian bike. Plus it's just added resistance that will get me in shape faster. :D

Missa

For trail riding I use a modified road bike. It is based on a Lemond Poprad frame with 700x28 tires. A bit thinker than the 700x23 that you see on road bike but still thinner than the mountain high friction ones. They work great on crushed limestone and other surfaces. The bike is set up for trail riding and I use it for commuting too.

The bike itself was all custom to my specs but you can get OTS versions like this one.

Here is the build list:
1. Poprad Cylcocross frame
2. Winwood Clyclocross carbon fork
3. Avid shorty brakes
4. Bontrager 700 Lite wheels with Michelin 700x28 commuting tires
5. King headset
6. Full Ultegra, triple chainring, drive train
7. carbon seat post
8. Bontrager stem and handle bars
9. Trek rack with paniers.

My road bike is built for the road and while I had it a few times on limestone it is not a fun ride. This one is very stable, it is also my winter bike and when there is snow I put on Biachi cross tires that are 700x38. They grab the snow just fine.

Wow Scott, You sound a lot more into then I am. I went into a bike shop in '92, told them what I was looking for and asked them what they recomended. They made a lot of sense and I bought the bike. I've been very happy with it and I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash for a new bike (yet). Right now I'm mainly commuting on it and it serves it's purpose.

Missa

Heck, to show how much into riding I am, I ride a "Jeep Cherokee" (Really!) that I got with American Express Member Rewards points! LOL

Wow Scott, that is one nice trail bike setup. So what do you have for a road ride? I am currently riding a Gunnar (welded Steel frame by Waterford), with a Campy drive train and Ksyrium wheels. My newest cycling toy is a fixed gear bike I built up from an old Fuji frame I got from a buddy of mine here at work. I currently use that bike for all of my in town riding, and plan to use it for commuting when I don't ride the BMW in.

Pete

Wow Scott, You sound a lot more into then I am. I went into a bike shop in '92, told them what I was looking for and asked them what they recomended. They made a lot of sense and I bought the bike. I've been very happy with it and I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash for a new bike (yet). Right now I'm mainly commuting on it and it serves it's purpose.

Missa

I wanted something for winter, commuting and trail riding and just could not find what I wanted so I ended up going custom. The cost was only a few $$$ more.

My road bike was OTS when I bought it except for the saddle. Now it has a lot of custom tweaks on it. But I have to say riding a comfortable bike makes all the difference.

Wow Scott, that is one nice trail bike setup. So what do you have for a road ride? I am currently riding a Gunnar (welded Steel frame by Waterford), with a Campy drive train and Ksyrium wheels. My newest cycling toy is a fixed gear bike I built up from an old Fuji frame I got from a buddy of mine here at work. I currently use that bike for all of my in town riding, and plan to use it for commuting when I don't ride the BMW in.

Pete

my road set up is an all steel Lemond Zurich with carbon fork, king headset, Ultegra rear drive and FSA carbon triple front, Easton carbon handle bars, Selle San Marco saddle with the open center (hate male anatomy numbness from the closed saddles), Speedplay zero peddles, and Bontrager XXX-Lite wheels.

I would have gotten the wheels you have have but I got a deal on these. They are the ones that were made to compete with yours and Trek lost the lawsuit and to withdraw them from the market. So I was able to buy them at cost before they got sent back to Trek.

How do you like you Waterford? I have been thinking of using them for my next frame if this one ever wears out. I love the ride of steel!!!

Maintence is a big deal on bikes. You want a comfortable ride and efficient drive train. I clean and lube my chain every other ride or when really dirty. I clean the bikes often to keep the dirt off. Chains are replaced every 1,000 miles regardless of whether they are in or out of limit. I love my Park chain gauge for checking that too. Wheels are checked for true often and the bearing are lubed at least once a year. I also replace all cables and housing every 2,000 miles. That keeps the shifting nice and smooth. Brakes get replaced when I see the pad at the wear bars. I just replace the pads not the whole pad and housing. Cheaper that way.

Chains are replaced every 1,000 miles regardless of whether they are in or out of limit.

He.. well, I doubt that my bike has seen that many miles yet. I do keep it clean and my freind has all the cool tools so helps give it a tuen up every year. Mayby it will see that many miles if I use it to commute now.

Missa

I uh ... have a schwinn ... 3 speed handgrip shift, banana seat, high rise sissy bar, monkey bar handlebars... from about 1968 :)

Back