Wind favors runway 8, people using runway 2

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
I'm about to depart KPGV 2 days ago and there are 2 ASEL About to taxi but in front was a dash 8 that used runway 2 (longest runway so it's expected).
Wind was 070@6.. We have runways 2-20 & 8-26.. It's obvious to me that runway 8 is that best runway.
Both small planes followed the dash 8 and took off from runway 2. It took me a few seconds to make sense of it , which I couldn't? :dunno:
I didn't want to chance the possibility of an incursion since the runways cross, so I took off from 2 as well. 20-30'degree crab immediately after rotating...

I'm just curious as to what to do next time? Should I "follow" traffic or make my intentions of using a different runway extra clear??

if it adds anything.. It was nighttime

Last edited:
Announce your intentions, wait your turn. When conflicting traffic ahead of you is clear, go as announced. Then, see and avoid.

I wouldn't be concerned with a breeze crossing at 6 so I'd go with the flow.

Use the runway that is most comfortable for you,as stated taxi to your runway of choice and wait for conflicting traffic to clear,then announce your intentions ,and depart on that runway.

Use whatever runway you want at non-towered field, within regulation. Like said above wait your turn, when clear, announce your intentions and blast off.

I have taken off downwind, departing traffic upwind...no other aircraft, plenty of runway...away you go.

Not a big deal. Have fun.

Non controlled means that you can use any runway, as long as you don't hit anyone.

Me: I'd use the runway the others were using, unless there was a safety issue.

I'm about to depart KPGV 2 days ago and there are 2 ASEL About to taxi but in front was a dash 8 that used runway 2 (longest runway so it's expected).
Wind was 070@6.. We have runways 2-20 & 8-26.. It's obvious to me that runway 8 is that best runway.
Both small planes followed the dash 8 and took off from runway 2. It took me a few seconds to make sense of it , which I couldn't? :dunno:
I didn't want to chance the possibility of an incursion since the runways cross, so I took off from 2 as well. 20-30'degree crab immediately after rotating...
Something doesn't sound right. 6 kts wind 50 degrees off the runway heading shouldn't require THAT much of a crab angle.

Something doesn't sound right. 6 kts wind 50 degrees off the runway heading shouldn't require THAT much of a crab angle.

Might not have been 30 degrees, but I was definitely crabbing.
Diamond 20

At the Home Drome, we have 9-27 only. Departing 27 you have terrain immediately and no options for about 90 seconds in what I fly. I'll take off 9 even with a bit of a tailwind (not much mind you) just so I can have options. 50* wouldn't concern me much, but as others have said, you can go off whatever runway you want. Like the others, unless it was really dangerous I would use the same runway as the others.

with light-ish winds I'd pick the runway that is closest to the direction I'm headed, subject to consideration of surrounding terrain, emergency landing sites, community noise concerns, yada yada

with light-ish winds I'd pick the runway that is closest to the direction I'm headed, subject to consideration of surrounding terrain, emergency landing sites, community noise concerns, yada yada
Same. If I need to head east and winds are calm, I'll take the east runway.

At most the airports I use, unless it's a strong wind I always take off down hill if sloped, direction of least obstruction, direction with best engine out options, or if the ramp is at one end of a 7k foot runway I will use the runway closest to the ramp. Granted if there is other traffic in the pattern I will go with the flow. Anything under 10knt wind doesn't really change my takeoff decision in an airplane that only uses 1/4 of most runways to get off the ground.

I think the DA-20 is probably the easiest plane to take off and land with cross winds, pucker factor starts at 20kt+ winds when I fly mine.

6 knots 50 degrees off centerline is negligible enough. 4.6 knots right crosswind is nbd. With that light a wind, many pilots would opt for the longer runway to give them options in case of a balked takeoff.

I'd be interested in maintaining the other traffic in sight and would probably use the same runway and pattern IF they were even still in the area.

But you're PIC so it's your discretion.

Oh, just grow a pair. Didn't your CFI teach you anything? :mad2:

It's uncontrolled. Do whatevs, so long as it's safe and doesn't cause a conflict.

Back