Wind- canceled flight

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Was going to fly from Houston to Austin. Watched weather, kept checking metars and prog charts.

I hated to cancel, 50 minute flight vs 3 hour drive.
Wind was 30 knot+ semi truck were having issues on I10 so I was happy with my decision. :eek::hairraise:

Probably a very wise decision...it was pretty widespread.

Pirep from just north of me today:

PIREP 13:41Z 12/20/12
ENL UUA /OV ENL235024/TM 1341/FL070/TP C402/TB EXTRM

Winds were gusting to 50 at the surface here today. STL winds at 3,000MSL were > 60kts.

Tubulence extreme?

No sh!!?

Drove by SGR today, called in for the ASOS... everything was "missing". That was a first for me.

Our winds were even gusting up to 25 which is super unusual for us. It was right down the runway though which was nice.

I was flying along one day showing something like 80 knots of groundspeed on a true of 150. My only thought is my buddy who departed about the same time in a old skyhawk must be really having fun. He eventually gave up half way to the destination and landed. Just not enough forward speed.

In the middle of that mess @ I19 just about every report within 50 miles was 25+ steady plus gusts to 40+ yesterday. I decided I did not need crosswind practice that much. :no:

Cheers

Nah, driving I'm equidistant from IWS and SGR though (Katy). I rent from SGR.

Do you go to any of the FAAST seminars? I try to go to most of them.
do you do any practice at Westheimer?

I would like to me up and lets fly! You solo or is there a Ms's?

Was going to fly from Houston to Austin. Watched weather, kept checking metars and prog charts.

I hated to cancel, 50 minute flight vs 3 hour drive.
Wind was 30 knot+ semi truck were having issues on I10 so I was happy with my decision. :eek::hairraise:

I think you made the right call. Gotta know your limits or you'll get to know the FAA better than you'd like.

Cancelled our flight tomorrow due to 60+ knot headwinds, everything else looks good but I really don't want to get beat to death. @3K they're forecasting 38knots.

Back