Wind Blamed For Small Plane Crash

flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyer
Here is a interesting one...

April 16, 2009
A gust of wind is being blamed for the crash of a small plane in Barton County Wednesday.
The Kansas Highway Patrol was called to K-156 highway, just east of Great Bend at 2:40 p.m.
Troopers said a single engine plane was trying to take off when a gust of wind caught the plane and pushed it into the west ditch. The plane crashed through a chain link fence and came to rest on private property.
The pilot, 59-year-old Kenneth Doonan of Wichita, refused treatment at the scene. He was the only person on the plane.
But his troubles may just be beginning.
Authorities want to know why he was using a highway as a runway.

How long will it take for a Terrafugia owner to get fed up with traffic and do the same thing?

How long will it take for a Terrafugia owner to get fed up with traffic and do the same thing?

man that would be awesome. 2 lane road, slow old lady, back off until a decent gap opens up. no oncoming traffic, fold out the wings, and buzz her

Authorities want to know why he was using a highway as a runway.

Other than the possible speed violation, I wonder if he actually broke any laws? For that matter, if there is nothing in state or city law prohibiting an off airport landing, would they be able to nab you for speeding, or perhaps using a non-road worthy vehicle on the road?

man that would be awesome. 2 lane road, slow old lady, back off until a decent gap opens up. no oncoming traffic, fold out the wings, and buzz her

You know how many drivers are pulling back on the wheel when they aren't squeezing the trigger on the guy ahead?

I was speed scanning the topics and read this at first as "Wife Blamed For Small Plane Crash".

Too many Archie Bunker re-runs this week . . . :rolleyes:

Maybe he used the highway because he was a Doonan (local family), he was entitled.

Kevin

Ah, Great Bend.....my home town. I was working for Dresser Atlas and had some Houston VP's daughter working for me during the summer. So VP dad hitched a ride on the Corporate jet to visit his daughter. When the jet approached for landing, the fire department was called as someone thought it was an emergency landing......ya know, why would a jet be landing in Great Bend America. :dunno: :loco:

For that matter, if there is nothing in state or city law prohibiting an off airport landing, would they be able to nab you for speeding, or perhaps using a non-road worthy vehicle on the road?

I haven't seen any Crown Vics that can fly yet!! ;-)

Didn't you land a glider on Riverside Rd last year? I think that I remember something about that.

Didn't you land a glider on Riverside Rd last year? I think that I remember something about that.

yep, i posted a picture of that here. the county sheriff deputy was tickled, we had a nice chat. There was no traffic when I landed though

Back