Win98

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I just reloaded Windows 98 on an old machine that won't support XP. When I went to download updates, I could only get an error message on the update website. I know 98 isn't supported anymore but I thought that meant no new updates will be developed. Aren't the already developed updates still available?

Nope. I believe they stopped the update availability 2 years ago, in August.

Sigh. Just wait - everyone saying XP is better than Vista will soon be in the same boat (soon being about 6 years)

Sigh. Just wait - everyone saying XP is better than Vista will soon be in the same boat (soon being about 6 years)

Nahhh .. just move to Linux.

Change to MAC OS, put a Tiger in your computer
kaos-animal-tiger-smiley-6228.gif

I say stick with the technology that won't be out of business in 10 years.

Apple's been done for for a long time. The iPod saved it. These recent commercials are dragging it along. But it is only a matter time.

The intel change was the worst mistake Apple has made, IMHO, and it will bury the company.

Apple's been done for for a long time. The iPod saved it. These recent commercials are dragging it along. But it is only a matter time.

The intel change was the worst mistake Apple has made, IMHO, and it will bury the company.
The fruity puter still has a very strong presence in the design and desktop publishing sector. But, the architects and engineers all use a real computer. Fascinating!

Jeez! What would it have cost them to maintain availability of what they had already developed? So anytime a crash requires a reload, you go back to just what is on the CD!

About the only way to buy some time when a version is cut out of support updates is at the last minute before they stop, do a full restore of your OS without any applications installed. Run through all the updates off of the MS site. Then, make your own set of recovery disks.

Such an automated process could be a good marketing product at the end of a version's life.

Ha! Hahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahhahaha!!!

I might believe you, Nick, if I hadn't heard "Apple will be out of business in two years" for the first time in 1985. They're setting records with Mac sales too, not just iPods.

Apple's been on the upswing all the way back since 1998 when Steve came back. The iPod has just made them a lot of extra money.

I used to think so, too, when it first happened. I thought that nobody would buy during the transition period and that all of us Mac fans who have been bashing Intel for years and years would NEVER buy a computer with the heathen chip in it.

But... They not only survived the transition, now they're selling more Macs than ever because people are no longer afraid of buying them. If they don't like Mac OS and don't want it at all, they just wipe the drive clean and install Windows. The risk of buying a Mac is now gone, and people are buying tons of them.

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. And other companies should take note now - You do NOT **** off Steve. IBM ****ed Steve off by focusing too much on the video game consoles instead of coming up with a viable G5 chip for laptops. When they finally did, it was after the decision was already made. Record companies, movie studios, and cell phone carriers take note.

Back