Win98 Wireless Adapter

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I have a "hand-me-up" laptop (Compaq Presario 1200) running Win98. I also have a wireless and an ethernet card for it but wthout documentation. They were previously set up in it when it was running WinXP. I have downloaded the 98 driver for the wireless card and it is reported by the system as not having any problems. What else do I have to do, if anything, to get this thing working for wireless internet access. Do I need to set up some sort of network connection? In this area, I don't even speak the language.

Graueradler said:
I have a "hand-me-up" laptop (Compaq Presario 1200) running Win98. I also have a wireless and an ethernet card for it but wthout documentation. They were previously set up in it when it was running WinXP. I have downloaded the 98 driver for the wireless card and it is reported by the system as not having any problems. What else do I have to do, if anything, to get this thing working for wireless internet access. Do I need to set up some sort of network connection? In this area, I don't even speak the language.

You need to bind the adapter to TCP/IP. I think you'll find a wizard to do this in control panel/network connections, but I'm not certain that existed in W98.

lancefisher said:
You need to bind the adapter to TCP/IP. I think you'll find a wizard to do this in control panel/network connections, but I'm not certain that existed in W98.

Right click on "Network Neighborhood" on the desktop and then "Properties".
Scroll down looking for the name of your adapter under the TCP/IP services section. There you can set it up for DHCP or assign an address to it.
I use a Linksys Wireless adaptr on Win98SE when I travel.

KL

Back