Win 7 network problem

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
Wife & I both have Win 7 professional and have our computers networked. I can access hers fine. When she attempts to access mine she gets the "don't have permission" error.

I have searched mine and opened everything I can think of. I am at a loss as to where to look next.

Any help would really be appreciated. When I was using another Win 7 computer, everything worked fine, so the problem seems to be on my computer.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

do u have a login on yours?

Both joined to a workgroup?
If so, make sure both of you are in the admin group.
And yes, as vman mentioned, you'll need the accounts set up on the new machine.

Neither machine requires a login
They're both on the home group, both computers show up on the network, I have shared everything on my computer but my wife gets the no permission error as soon as she tries to access mine.

Non of the built in troubleshooting tools find anything.

Bah humbug

Have you rebooted?

ha ha... kidding.

You could try: stop the sharing, and re-share. I've seen it work, but for sure no guarantees.
Also, maybe turn off firewalls as a test.

I think I found it My computer states I am connected to the homegroup My wife's says she's connect to Network 2. I have no idea what this network 2, is and why I can see and access her computer.

Hi,

Firstly, take care not to divulge sensitive information on the internet. For example I have edited the computer and user names I have displayed below. I did this even though the computer and user names I actually use are nothing to do with my real name - paranoid eh!

There are people who can assist you here but you will need to provide some further details.

Please answer Ray's question "What do you mean by "access?" Drive shares, printer shares, RDP?"

If you are not sure what that means you could post a screenshot of you accessing it.

Please also open a Command Prompt and provide the output from the following commands on BOTH computers. The computers should BOTH be connected to the network and you should be "access[ing] hers fine" before you execute the commands. (only the VIEW command actually needs the connection).

You can easily capture the results with screen shots if you don't know how to copy/paste from the command line. Alt[PrtSc] does a screen shot of the current window.

One of the commands requires that you provide the computername of the OTHER computer. You will first need to determine the names of both computers with say "set compu".

Commands to run.

set compu
net share
net use
net view \\OTHER_COMPUTER_NAME

In the last one you should provide the name of the other computer. I don't have another computer handy so I can't show you an example.

C:\Users\Fred>set compu
COMPUTERNAME=APOLLO

C:\Users\Fred>net share

Share name Resource Remark

------------------------------------------------------------------
C$ C:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
print$ C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
ADMIN$ C:\Windows Remote Admin
Users C:\Users
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Fred>net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unavailable Z: \\192.168.1.65\public Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Fred>net view \\OTHER_COMPUTER_NAME

Once you provide the info I think that someone here will be able to assist. Quite possibly not me as I don't have much recent experience with windows home networking.

AMAZINGLY, these commands have not changed since before 1990 - thank you Microsoft. It's not all change for the sake of change.

Last edited:
Problem solved. I was on HOME network she was on NETWORK 2 .

This must have happened when I installed my new computer. I have no idea why I could see and access her computer with this screw up.

Back