Win 10 bombed.

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I'm finally letting Win 7 go and upgrading to 10. My wife's computer choked with this error message.
0x8007042B - 0x3000D The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

This seems to be a problem with a corrupted C: USERS. If I look at my own USERS all the folders are pretty well populated.

Hers are scarce. Here computer however, seems to function normally but won't allow an upgrade to Win 10. I am now in over my head.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid a clean install.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Drop back 10 yards and punt. Can't really help you, but I would just buy a new computer. They are cheap. Especially if a win 7 computer has been getting you by.

Assuming your computer is not really recent, I would just format the hard drive, get rid of windows, and install Ubuntu, or even better the derived version from System76, PopOs!
In fact, if you had some extra money to spend, I would recommend to buy a System76 computer and make your life much easier, especially with future updates. For the hopefully very rare moments when you really need Windows, you can always run a virtual installation under Linux.

There is a lot here about this error.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...migratedata-operation?forum=win10itprogeneral

Some seem to assume you have an HP computer.

Main suggestions seem to be.

*) Backup data

*) Simplify environment, unplug everything you can.

Check disk and OS integrity —

*) chkdsk /x /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: Y

reboot

This may take many hours so plan to run overnight.

*) sfc /scannow

If it reports that it cannot fix it then dism as below.

*) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

*) Disable AV software

*) "What about trying an ISO Upgrade Repair instead?"

Guess this means booting from a DVD (or USB stick). This will remove any anti-virus stuff and other software from the situation. I have NO IDEA what the implications of keeping existing software and data might be. Please check.

I never upgrade. I always purchase a new complete machine so that the MFR is responsible for all this C_ap.
Seriously....you pays your $$s and you get...Bupkis. sigh. I feel you pain.

Mine was puking on the upgrade, tried everything with no luck. Finally just bit the big one and bought a new SSD and did a new clean install. Worked! Now I am running win 10 for something like $50. Just make sure you download the upgrade to a thumb drive and do the install from that.

Holly crap.I just ordered the windows 10 upgrade disc.
I really hate computers.

Update: the Windows 10 update appears to have worked.

Last edited:
Download and install Tweaking.com Repair Windows https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html The software is free. Run this in safe mode. On a slow computer, this can run for a couple of days. Then try to install Windows 10. This software scans for any problems and fixes them. Once this is done, try reinstalling Windows 10. Before running, download the Belarc Advisor, run that, and print out the results. This may save you some grief because it will print out all the key codes for software installed on your computer. https://www.belarc.com/products/belarc-advisor

Back