Will your iPhone do this?

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
I just discovered a nifty feature on my Blackberry, automatic VoIP when hooked to WiFi (my service is through T-Mobile). So here I am 100 miles offshore bee lining it for Cape Hatteras, and I get my phone calls while hooked up the the boats satellite broadband connection through out WiFi network. Pretty cool....

Apparently someone already figured out how to do that with the iPOD iTouch. So as long as you are near Wifi you can use it as a phone, too.

AT&T announced they would have phones that would transparently latch onto the wireless POTS receiver at home, use VOIP on local or public access WiFi or go on to GSM when those weren't there.

AFAIK, that has never shipped.

AT&T announced they would have phones that would transparently latch onto the wireless POTS receiver at home, use VOIP on local or public access WiFi or go on to GSM when those weren't there.

AT&T didn't have to deliver because it had 3G.

T-Mob offered that because it was so woefully behind in high-speed data, they had to do something to keep everybody from jumping ship!

There's a few varieties for the iPhone: SoonR (+SkypeOut) and Fring. Not sure if they're as seamless as the T-Mob solution, though.

-Rich

AT&T Wireless announced that to their employees back in '94 when I worked for them. Still haven't seen it either. (Haven't worked for 'em for a long time too).

Back