Will two controlled conditions ground me?

U

Unregistered

I have high blood pressure that has been controlled with medication for 6 years. No side effects from the medicine, no cardiovascular instability whatsoever. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis that has been controlled with medication for 2 1/2 years. Again, no side effects from the medication and no evidence whatsoever of the condition becoming progressively worse.

I had a physical done for a 3rd class medical by an AME and he told me that the FAA would have to decide my fate. I was under the impression that because my medications are FAA approved, there would be no issue. What he told me was that because I have two conditions, he couldn't approve me. He suggested that I get a letter from both Doctors stating that my conditions are both stable with no side effects from the medications and that I get blood work supporting the stability. He said the examination he gave me had to be submitted within 7 days.

If, for some reason, I can't get the letters and blood work to him within the 7 days, does he submit the results of my physical without the supporting information or does he not submit the results at all? What are my chances of being approved with two conditions with or without the supporting information? I was so glad to find out that my medications were approved that I didn't consider that I could be denied for having two controlled conditions.

The names of the drugs would help. There's an AME who posts here; he'll chime in soon.

The names of the drugs would help. There's an AME who posts here; he'll chime in soon.

Yes, Dr. Bruce Chien will be along around mid-day or after dinner. He is the best in providing advice on how to get unstuck from situations like this.

Ureg; I feel for you. But just because the drugs show up as "approved" by the FAA does not automatically mean passing the physicals automatically. Often these medication approvals are tied to "okay to manage the condition" but FAA Medical in OKC will always need/want more data as to the specifics of your condition.

What ever Dr. Bruce says to do, do that, and quickly before your clock expires.

To speed things along, you might wish to contact him directly: www.aeromedicaldoc.com or aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net This might actually be the preferred way since there is only so much he is able to say in an open forum format. More can be done in private communication.

Edit to add: Here is a link to the AME guide published on FAA.gov website. This is the document that describes the conditions that the FAA is wanting more information for and what information the need. Dr. Bruce will boil it down to the basic bullet points, but if you want to read more, this guide might help. Page 109 covers RMA, Page 195 covers hypertension.

If you went to the AME without this required documentation, this is why he has put the 7-day clock on you.

If your supervising family doctor is a good one, get a re-visit scheduled quickly and get him to generate the required documents. Plus copies of the lab reports (blood workup for the hypertension).

A plain worded status letter is also needed from your doc. Dr. Bruce can provide examples and guidance on the template. It's best if you bring an example to your doc and have him "fill in the blanks".

Last edited:
Question about the 7-day clock;

If the OP was not able to meet that deadline, what happens to his status?

Both conditions are certifiable.
For Rhumatoid arthiritis you need a letter from the prescribing doc saying that you are easily capable of all day to day activities, can pick things up off the floor and that a flight of stairs is not a problem for you. It must list your meds and dosages. NOTE: ORENCIA is unacceptable to FAA (terrible side effect profile).

For hypertension, the letter needs to say: "Well controlled", "no reported side effects", and "Not being followed for coronary disease". Yo will need an EKG without "bundle branch block"- if you have ethat a stress treadmill is required, usulaly with a nuke, onetime), a serum creatinine, lipid profile, and fasting glucose.

Question about the 7-day clock;

If the OP was not able to meet that deadline, what happens to his status?
Exam gets sent in (First time exam, 7 day deadline, subsequent exams 14 days) and is officially deferred. Then the 30 days demand notices start appearing....at day 27 he can ask for another 30 (takes 3 days for the request to show up on FAA system), but after that it's denial and reapply time.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce!

Another question: If the OP was to obtain the required labs and letters before the deadline, are these two items office issuable? Or are they an auto-deferral?

Exam gets sent in (First time exam, 7 day deadline, subsequent exams 14 days) and is officially deferred. Then the 30 days demand notices start appearing....at day 27 he can ask for another 30 (takes 3 days for the request to show up on FAA system), but after that it's denial and reapply time.

Just curious...Is the AME required to send in the exam or can the request for the medical be withdrawn by the OP?

Just curious...Is the AME required to send in the exam or can the request for the medical be withdrawn by the OP?

To the best of my knowledge you're supposed to sign the form before presenting it to the AME at the start of the exam (or the electronic equivalent), and once you've done that, that form IS GOING to the FAA. If you walk out mid-exam, you're denied.

Can't withdraw. The moment an AME downloads, it's signed.

The key is to get an AME to understand that if you email him the PDF, it's not signed yet. If you withold the download code it can't be signed.

The OP now has no choice but to get everything on the list. Rhumatoid arthritis on meds can be approved in the office if the AME is willing to get the documents, get them to FAA, call and obtain verbal approval to issue or one year. AND THAT is the key.

I got all required items in before Tuesday's deadline on Thursday, but the AME was out of the office and won't be back in his office until Monday or Tuesday. Will his office complete the application or will those documents just sit there until the AME shows up on Monday or Tuesday? Can they all be submitted electronically or am I in fear of missing the Tuesday deadline? This is seriously stressful. I hope I didn't mistakenly surrender my opportunity to train as a Sport Pilot. It's up to the FAA now. I can't imagine not being able to learn to fly.

Both conditions are certifiable.
For Rhumatoid arthiritis you need a letter from the prescribing doc saying that you are easily capable of all day to day activities, can pick things up off the floor and that a flight of stairs is not a problem for you. It must list your meds and dosages. NOTE: ORENCIA is unacceptable to FAA (terrible side effect profile).

For hypertension, the letter needs to say: "Well controlled", "no reported side effects", and "Not being followed for coronary disease". Yo will need an EKG without "bundle branch block"- if you have ethat a stress treadmill is required, usulaly with a nuke, onetime), a serum creatinine, lipid profile, and fasting glucose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back