Will tomorrow change the world?

What's the worse case scenario if things don't go as planned?

What's the worse case scenario if things don't go as planned?

No power, they spill some liquid H2 which may cause some interesting thermal events, but this is nothing like CERN. This is a different type of high energy. They're trying to tear through space-time to see what comes out, this is fusing stuff together. The worst that happens s it doesn't fuse or some equipment explodes in a very conventional manner.

No power, they spill some liquid H2 which may cause some interesting thermal events, but this is nothing like CERN. This is a different type of high energy. They're trying to tear through space-time to see what comes out, this is fusing stuff together. The worst that happens s it doesn't fuse or some equipment explodes in a very conventional manner.

Probably nothing. These things have a way of being overblown.

Only when energy produced exceeds energy consumed will it matter

I am more interested in the CERN black hole. Coming to a planet near you.....

One observation from a guy who did this sort of thing for a living: One thing that the video doesn't address is how they plan to prevent the whole device from becoming radioactive from secondary particle impact inside the ring. One of the original rings, built back in the middle to late 1980's, became so radioactive the ring, the control systems, and the building it was all housed in had to be broken up and buried in a nuclear waste site.

Interesting video, Henning. Thank you for posting.

I thought it was helium for now, and hydrogen next month

Tomorrow never comes

Superconducting magnets can and have failed catastrophically. It's possible for the field strength to exceed the strength of the material it is made out of.

It's not very likely, however.

More likely, a new plasma instability will get discovered and space charge won't be as high as design. That's what happens to big Tokamaks. This one is a new level of complexity.

Fusion is the power of the future, and always will be. And I've been saying that for 30 years now, since I was working on inertial confinement. A gigawatt commercial reactor was supposed to get built by 2025. They're just a teensy bit behind schedule.

Hmm. Looks kinda like it got banged around during delivery, and bent a little bit. Guess they decided to give it a shot, anyway.

Hmm. Looks kinda like it got banged around during delivery, and bent a little bit. Guess they decided to give it a shot, anyway.

It is a very interesting shape, isn't it. Hopefully they got it right and it avoids the interference heating problems. Since all 5 segments are identical though, I can't help but wonder if they run into a Coreolis issue, or if that's too weak to have an influence at this scale of energy.

There's no way to know, that guy's droning voice puts everyone to sleep before he can finish explaining it.

Back