Will the major airlines drop the required bachelors degree due to the pilot shortage?

Logan Hardee

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jaxpilot02
I know there isn’t a definitive answer yet. Just curious what people think. I’m starting flight school in 2 months and my ultimate goal is united. They don’t require a BA but it’s “preferred”. I heard 2% of their pilots don’t have one so that isn’t super comforting haha. I plan to get an associates regardless and either add 2 years to it or not.
Thanks for the help as always.

I know any number of pilots working for various major airlines who do not have a BA. They are definitely in the minority, but they're out there.

I flew last week to LA and back and the flights were at capacity, not an open seat.

Yeah, we went from a shortage to some talking furlough. Hopefully soon all we have left is the so-so beer, then get back to the pilot shortage.

I flew last week to LA and back and the flights were at capacity, not an open seat.

Nah - we’re getting hammered, and it’ll likely get worse before it gets better. I departed LGA this morning and it was a ghost town. My airline just announced a 7.5% reduction in our domestic flying next month, with a 10% reduction over the peak summer months. With all the retirements I think everyone will be fine over the short term but if this panic extends into the fall or even later, it’ll get interesting.

We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Nah - we’re getting hammered, and it’ll likely get worse before it gets better. I departed LGA this morning and it was a ghost town. My airline just announced a 7.5% reduction in our domestic flying next month, with a 10% reduction over the peak summer months. With all the retirements I think everyone will be fine over the short term but if this panic extends into the fall or even later, it’ll get interesting.

We’ll see what happens.
Yikes. Not good for anyone. I won’t be finished with flight school till julyish of 2021. Curious to see if hiring will still be effect then.

Airport parking Tuesday morning, plus being March spring break season should be over-flowing. It was half full by my view. Pretty crazy.

Once a vaccine comes out, we’ll be back to normalcy I’m thinking.

Airport parking Tuesday morning, plus being March spring break season should be over-flowing. It was half full by my view. Pretty crazy.

Once a vaccine comes out, we’ll be back to normalcy I’m thinking.

Once spring settles in, viruses don't like temps above 27C and humidity. The corona virus will die out quickly.

Back