Will the Gi-275, or anything else for that matter, do this?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I’m looking for a single round instrument that can do basic gps driven vfr navigation without an external gps source.

Last edited:
You mean like a GPS version of something like th Narco NAV-122 (which was a self-contained Nav radio/CDI)?

I haven't heard of something like that. It would of course need to have some kind of display and controls to be at least able to enter your destination.

The 275 will. Needs an antenna, which I believe you can stick on the dash, particularly if you're experimental.

1702770847861.png

https://www.bennettavionics.com/apollo-360-vfr-gps-navigator/
360_GPS-Store-Closeup__82347.1483134221.500.659.jpg

Nauga,
who is not doomed to repeat it.

The 275 will. Needs an antenna, which I believe you can stick on the dash, particularly if you're experimental.

View attachment 123337
That’s how I was interpreting it, but wasn’t sure. Do you know if the AI can do this, or only the mfd?

That’s how I was interpreting it, but wasn’t sure. Do you know if the AI can do this, or only the mfd?
From Kitplanes:

So let’s dive in. Garmin has one physical configuration of the instrument itself, with variations based on what is in the box and which bits of software are enabled. It breaks down to an attitude indicator (ADI) starting at $3995; this is known as the GI 275 ADAHRS. A somewhat de-contented version of that same box can be used as a course deviation indicator (CDI) or multifunction display (MFD); it’s called the GI 275 Base and sells for $3195. A third version is the GI 275 ADAHRS+AP, selling for $4495, which has all the functions of the ADAHRS unit as well as a supplementary circuit board to provide both digital and analog outputs to drive certified autopilots. Oh, and there’s actually a fourth version, which combines the GI 275 Basic display/processor head with a remote box (either the GEA 24 or GEA 110) for integrating with engine and airframe probes. Garmin’s goal was that some combination of these instruments would produce a whole-airplane solution in 31/8-inch instruments. Where this meets the needs of Experimentals better aligns with those looking to update older aircraft without having to gut the panel and start over.

Sounds to me like the basic MFD version does what you want.

From Kitplanes:

So let’s dive in. Garmin has one physical configuration of the instrument itself, with variations based on what is in the box and which bits of software are enabled. It breaks down to an attitude indicator (ADI) starting at $3995; this is known as the GI 275 ADAHRS. A somewhat de-contented version of that same box can be used as a course deviation indicator (CDI) or multifunction display (MFD); it’s called the GI 275 Base and sells for $3195. A third version is the GI 275 ADAHRS+AP, selling for $4495, which has all the functions of the ADAHRS unit as well as a supplementary circuit board to provide both digital and analog outputs to drive certified autopilots. Oh, and there’s actually a fourth version, which combines the GI 275 Basic display/processor head with a remote box (either the GEA 24 or GEA 110) for integrating with engine and airframe probes. Garmin’s goal was that some combination of these instruments would produce a whole-airplane solution in 31/8-inch instruments. Where this meets the needs of Experimentals better aligns with those looking to update older aircraft without having to gut the panel and start over.

Sounds to me like the basic MFD version does what you want.
That confirms what I was thinking.

I can confirm re the Gi275. The basic version paired with the external antenna works as a basic vfr gps - moving map and direct-to a waypoint, navaid, airport, etc. I think you even get the first database update for free. I use it as my Nav CDI and the vfr gps function is a great bonus.

I’m looking for a single round instrument that can do basic gps driven vfr navigation without an external gps source.
Any reason you can't just use a portable GPS like an Aera or similar?

Back