Will RA ground me?

U

Unregistered

I asked a Doctor(not mine) who is a medical examiner if my medication for Rheumatoid Arthritis could cause me to fail a 3rd class medical. He told me not the medication but the condition might, but if it's being controlled with medication he is optimistic, but the FAA would ultimately decide. He told me that if my Doctor could provide an evaluation of my current condition, using the guidelines mandated by the FAA on a form he faxed me, it would greatly improve my chances to pass. I then contacted my Doctor and requested this evaluation and the reply from his gate keeper, who's one of those types who seems to revel in relaying bad news, was that "Dr.________ doesn't feel comfortable approving your flight lessons because, although you show no side effects to the medication, your condition is being controlled with said medication and there has been no advancement of your condition in two years, ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN and he doesn't want to be libel for permitting you to fly if something does happen. He's said you are free to get permission elsewhere." I'm not sure if those were his words or his gate keeper.

I explained to her that he would not be authorizing the training, but merely providing an accurate account of my present condition so that the FAA could make the determination if I'm fit to fly. I'm supposed to pick up the letter tomorrow. Honestly, what are my chances?

Possibly better if you can work with a more understanding doctor.

But wait for Dr. Bruce Chien to provide the final word on what's permitted and what you need to obtain to pass.

Depends entirely on what you are operatonally able to do, and the AME will evaluate that, and describe it to the agency.

Beware: Orencia is NOT acceptable to the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back