Will my medical history become an issue?

Gforrestersmith

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Garrett Smith
I’m researching everything I can about pilot training and school and I’m wondering if some of my medical history will effect where me qualifying for a commercial pilot position one day. Over 2 years ago I had a psychotic break that they thought was schizophrenia then a psychiatrist thought I was bipolar and even though I never got a diagnosis it’s still in their reports. Also last year I went to a detox facility to detox from alcohol and kratom. I am perfectly healthy with no physical issues and mentally I am way more sound and haven’t had any incidents since. I also have a perfectly clean criminal record. Could this affect the FAA medical clearance at all?

Yes, you will have difficulty obtaining a medical certificate. While you believe you are way more sound, to the FAA you are an absolute mess.
Damn that’s frustrating. Just in the sense that it happened on a solo travel to Costa Rica and it could have been a number of things that cause it and somebody could have even slipped me something. And it was so traumatic I honestly used alcohol as a way to numb it and cope with the stress from it all. I feel like I’m back to more of my old self now because just 2 years ago I wouldn’t have had any of this on my record.

Since this thread concerns medical certification, @bbchien will likely have valuable input.

I had a psychotic break that they thought was schizophrenia then a psychiatrist thought I was bipolar and even though I never got a diagnosis it’s still in their reports.

I'm sorry, but IMHO this just ain't gonna happen. I'm not a physician, and one of the forum docs might say otherwise, but I just don't see any real chance of you receiving an FAA medical certificate. I'm sure you can imagine the consequences of a psychotic event in the cockpit, with many lives depending upon you. The risk is simply too high.

Look at it this way. Schizophrenia and bipolar are both disqualifying. Your only path to overcome those is to prove neither one is true. Proving that for one of them would be very expensive, take a looong time, and have a low likelihood of success. You're faced with proving it for both.

And what if that is successful? Then you're left with a psychotic break for an unknown reason. Disqualifying.

If you like planes, there are many careers in aviation besides being a pilot.

I'm sorry, but IMHO this just ain't gonna happen. I'm not a physician, and one of the forum docs might say otherwise, but I just don't see any real chance of you receiving an FAA medical certificate. I'm sure you can imagine the consequences of a psychotic event in the cockpit, with many lives depending upon you. The risk is simply too high.

Look at it this way. Schizophrenia and bipolar are both disqualifying. Your only path to overcome those is to prove neither one is true. Proving that for one of them would be very expensive, take a looong time, and have a low likelihood of success. You're faced with proving it for both.

And what if that is successful? Then you're left with a psychotic break for an unknown reason. Disqualifying.

If you like planes, there are many careers in aviation besides being a pilot.
Wow this could literally be the heartbreaking truth of all of it. Even if my psychosis was a one time thing that never happened again in my life time it’d still be disqualifying… idk what to say but this is kinda heartbreaking but I appreciate you telling me how it is.

Wow this could literally be the heartbreaking truth of all of it. Even if my psychosis was a one time thing that never happened again in my life time it’d still be disqualifying… idk what to say but this is kinda heartbreaking but I appreciate you telling me how it is.

One time in the past two years is how it stands today. A decade or two without recurrence might make it look better.

To get an actual answer based on your medical history, you need to go have a consultation with HIMS AME.

Or accept that a profession as a pilot is not going to be reasonably in your future, but don’t slam the door on being able to fly recreationally by getting in the system, mosaic is due to be finalized relatively soon and with it drivers liscence medicals provided you have not been denied.

Garrett, are you writing this on the high end of a bipolar episode?

Do you think you should be flying given recent history?

I am definitely not. I drive for Uber and a southwest pilot made it seem like I could do it and that’s why I’m inquiring about it.

@Gforrestersmith , FYI - Regarding the post above from bbchien (aka Dr Bruce), understand that he is a VERY experienced aviation medical examiner who only works difficult cases. If he doesn't think it's possible, you're pretty much out of luck.

I'm sorry it's that way, but life's like that. There are still many great careers in aviation that are open to you but are outside the cockpit. I hope you'll consider one of them.

WTH is kratom?
From Dr. Google, it's a tropical evergreen tree native to SE Asia that can be used as a stimulant or sedative, depending on dose, and can lead to psychotic symptoms. Supposedly, its effects are similar to opioids.

From Dr. Google, it's a tropical evergreen tree native to SE Asia that can be used as a stimulant or sedative, depending on dose, and can lead to psychotic symptoms. Supposedly, its effects are similar to opioids.

Had a guy at work get hooked on that stuff. Teeth started getting nasty, and then he started stealing to get money to buy it. Amazingly it is sold ever over the counter.

WTH is kratom?

Heck, I didn't know either until I read the responses. So let's see now,.... So far we have (1) a psychotic episode, (2) possible schizophrenia, (3) possible bipolar, (4) alcohol abuse / dependence, and (5) kratom abuse / dependence.

I feel bad for the OP, but the truth is this one is about as impossible as they come.

...but don’t slam the door on being able to fly recreationally...

It's true that it might be technically legal for the OP to fly for fun as a Sport Pilot with only a driver's license to serve as a medical, but it might not be wise given the OP's medical issues. The legality might even be questionable under CFR 61.303:

A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—
(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

though that one's a bit fuzzy. The OP is able to operate a car, no doctor has pulled his driver's license, so arguably flying as a Sport Pilot should be okay. OTOH, the conditions are ones for which Special Issuances are not given (unlike, say, diabetes). If the OP ever had a mishap it would probably come into play and be a problem.

Heck, I didn't know either until I read the responses. So let's see now,.... So far we have (1) a psychotic episode, (2) possible schizophrenia, (3) possible bipolar, (4) alcohol abuse / dependence, and (5) kratom abuse / dependence.

I feel bad for the OP, but the truth is this one is about as impossible as they come.

It's true that it might be technically legal for the OP to fly for fun as a Sport Pilot with only a driver's license to serve as a medical, but it might not be wise given the OP's medical issues. The legality might even be questionable under CFR 61.303:

A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—
(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

though that one's a bit fuzzy. The OP is able to operate a car, no doctor has pulled his driver's license, so arguably flying as a Sport Pilot should be okay. OTOH, the conditions are ones for which Special Issuances are not given (unlike, say, diabetes). If the OP ever had a mishap it would probably come into play and be a problem.
But he's feeling MUCH better now....

I am perfectly healthy with no physical issues and mentally I am way more sound and haven’t had any incidents since.

I understand the impulse for humor. Lord knows, I've played for laughs more than once, but don't be mean.
The OP may not make a suitable pilot, but at least he has faced his issues and seems to be trying to address them. If he does conquer his demons, there are plenty of non-aviation careers he could pursue.

Back