Will Medical Reform Get You Back In The Air?

QuiQuog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo Djoe
Aside from the medical process itself, how will medical reform help you, or change the way you do things? Will it allow you to fly your GA plane again? Will it prompt you to sell your light sport plane? Will you be introducing people to flying?

I think removing the threat of a denial (and subsequent loss of light sport privileges) will significantly reduce the level of agita.

Similarly, I might be marginally more inclined to purchase an airplane if I knew that my ability to fly it could not be revoked as easily.

I won't get another medical.

I am more likely to build a kit plane. It would have been a bummer to start one and then lose a medical before I was done.

I am hoping if i can come up with the stuff that makes airplanes fly that not needing a medical will help me get back in the cockpit

Depending on who the process and rules are written for the basic SI's, it will make compliance a simpler task.

I don't have a recent medical so no change. (As long as the FAA doesn't decide to "reform" the sport pilot rules at the same time - then hello part 103.)

As far as introducing someone - you still need to get a medical to fly without a medical, so no real change there. The benefit is for those who currently have a medical.

On the bright side, we got first in our class in the Port Huron to Mackinac race this last week end. At least I'm still medically fit to change headsails and drop the main completely in a thunderstorm (in the middle of the night) (the foredeck can be an exciting place when the stuff hits the fan) put in and shake out a reef, along with the usual head sail changes and spinnaker peels. Over the course of the 37 hours, 7 minutes and 0 seconds it took us to sail 204 nautical miles, we used the light number 1 (more than once), number 2 (more than once), .5 ounce spinnaker (more than once), .75 ounce (more than once), 1.5 ounce (once) and the code zero (more than once). The drifter, heavy number 1, and number 3 stayed in their bags. (And I didn't get much sleep.) No one got hurt, and the only damage was a tear about a foot long in the light number one.

Yes, it was one more obstacle to getting back in the air. "Hey I'll think I'll go for the BFR, oh no, first have to do a medical first; wear reading glasses now, had that doctors appointment, old AME is out of business, never mind..."

You know the drill.

Probably, can't answer for sure until the rules come down.

No desire to fly at night, over 18,000 feet, in weather, don't want 3 passengers, one is more than enough, 120 knots is plenty for me, 4.5 to 5 gallons an hr is well within my budget. No I do not foresee changing anything. I love my aircraft's maneuverability, and ability to get in and out of all kinds of airstrips.

Cheers

I don't have a recent medical so no change. (As long as the FAA doesn't decide to "reform" the sport pilot rules at the same time - then hello part 103.)

As far as introducing someone - you still need to get a medical to fly without a medical, so no real change there. The benefit is for those who currently have a medical.

On the bright side, we got first in our class in the Port Huron to Mackinac race this last week end. At least I'm still medically fit to change headsails and drop the main completely in a thunderstorm (in the middle of the night) (the foredeck can be an exciting place when the stuff hits the fan) put in and shake out a reef, along with the usual head sail changes and spinnaker peels. Over the course of the 37 hours, 7 minutes and 0 seconds it took us to sail 204 nautical miles, we used the light number 1 (more than once), number 2 (more than once), .5 ounce spinnaker (more than once), .75 ounce (more than once), 1.5 ounce (once) and the code zero (more than once). The drifter, heavy number 1, and number 3 stayed in their bags. (And I didn't get much sleep.) No one got hurt, and the only damage was a tear about a foot long in the light number one.

Very Nice.

The pointy end of a boat is where the fun is. I would rather be pure rail meat than cockpit scum....:D

Not an issue now, but seriously considering not flying for awhile after September (when my Class III expires) while waiting for the FAA rule making to be accomplished - what are y'all's (singular possessive of y'all) best guess how long that might drag out?

Not an issue now, but seriously considering not flying for awhile after September (when my Class III expires) while waiting for the FAA rule making to be accomplished - what are y'all's (singular possessive of y'all) best guess how long that might drag out?
How long did it take to get pilot certificates updated with pictures?

Flying actively already and still young and healthy so no major change for me but I will consider foregoing the class 3 at my next renewal (12/17). Have not decided yet because while I very rarely fly in the flight levels, my plane is certificated to FL250 and it is nice to have the option if needed to top weather for example.

Gave up on Class 3 a while ago so no difference to me. My current one expired 6 months ago and my friendly AME retired so to hell with it.

Cheers

I'm inclined to give up on trying to get my 3rd class back as there is a non-negligible chance of a denial, at least temporarily. Whether the new rules will get me back in the air any sooner, I don't know but I'm betting the answer is yes.

I'm a PPL flying light sport (Fly Baby, Ercoupe) and I'll seriously consider buying ( and definitely renting) a 4 place for longer trips.

Back