Will it go 'round in circles? Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Sorry, can't help myself with music lyrics stuck in my head ....

Trying to chase down the Slick SB1-98 (Slick Magneto Bulletin) or Lycoming Mandatory Bulletin SB 537, both referenced in AD 99-4-4.
The AD mentions that the Slick bulletin is reproduced word for word in the Lycoming Bulletin and so the circles continue .... can anyone point me to the actual content of the SB, either the original Slick, or the Lycoming reproduced content?

Thanks!
Greg

I got that one ... but it doesn't detail the inspection steps, rather it refers to other SLICK docs... however, maybe that's all there really is?

I got that one ... but it doesn't detail the inspection steps, rather it refers to other SLICK docs... however, maybe that's all there really is?
I think so but I'm no A&P. That SB looks like a good reason to go with Bendix mags.

The federal register has some info an the AD. Looks like a couple of incidents with slick mags caused engine stoppage. Looks like this stuff happened last century.

apparently SB1-98B is just a supplement to SB1-98 ... striking out trying to bring up that SB anywhere .... ???

so far everything I'm finding has this

"...inspect the components of the magneto impulse coupling for the conditions listed in accordance with steps 1 through 7 of the Textron Lycoming Mandatory SB No. 537, dated November 20, 1998.

Note 2: The Textron Lycoming Mandatory SB No. 537 dated November 20, 1998 contains the Slick SB No. SB1–98 dated August 26, 1998 in its entirety. The steps referenced to the Textron Lycoming SB No. 537 dated November 20, 1998 by this compliance section are the same steps that are contained in the Slick SB No. SB1–98 dated August 26, 1998... "

but unable to find the actual Steps 1 thru 7 of the SB 537

Last edited:
I just know this; when I was talking to the guys who overhaul mags they asked if mine were Slick or Bendix. I said Bendix. They said, "good because we can rebuild Bendix over and over but the parts cost for the Slick mags make them just as, or more expensive than a new one.

Great guys who know their stuff. http://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/

I guess you could look at it that way. I took it as I get more bang for the buck by being able to overhaul Bendix instead of buying new. Silly me for thinking these guys had my best interest at heart.

Back